Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making a kiddush at home

miami85

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 2:59 pm
Making a kiddush--in honor of new baby-at home possibly split between 2 apartments for men/women. Please advise me what to do. How much food make/ buy/expect from neighbors? When and how to invite. Need anything else I'm not thinking about. And go.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 3:58 pm
You can invite by phone or by mail. Or when encountering ppl. Whatsapp? Wink

I would not separate in two apartmentd but your roof your rules.

We had invites printed.

Bought all food. No one brought but that's cultural.

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 4:07 pm
First of all, Mazel tov!
I wouldn't depend on neighbors- unless you specifically ask them.
Some ideas are:
-Order/ have someone make 3 different kinds of cookies or minis
-Coffee station
-A large overnight kugel and/or cholent (if this is expected in your community)
-Schnapps for making kiddush- maybe a chocolate liquor for women who don't like hard liquor.
- a few bottles of water and soda
Coordinate matching tablecloths, napkins and paper goods.

In general, I don't think most people are coming for the food- they are coming to wish you well!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 4:57 pm
My experience (in numerous cities) is that real food goes over best. A big cholent and hot potato kugel go much faster than fancy cookies & minis -- the kids just grab those, take one bite and dump them. Recently my DD also served hot pastrami which was a big hit. I've seen in most places that the neighbors bring plenty of cookie kind of stuff. But it really depends on what is done in your community and how many people you will expect to come. DD who recently made a kiddush is very involved in her community (and her DH even more so) and they probably had over 100 people there.

Lani22

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 6:19 pm
If your going to split up the men and woman then I would have different food. For the men chulent, pot kugel, chopped liver, herring, gefilte fish, crackers, assorted cakes and shnapps. For the woman I would do gefilte fish, maybe some salmon, a few different salads ( ceasar, red cabbage, israeli...) assorted dips, assorted cakes and fruit.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 6:33 pm
Lani22 wrote:
If your going to split up the men and woman then I would have different food. For the men chulent, pot kugel, chopped liver, herring, gefilte fish, crackers, assorted cakes and shnapps. For the woman I would do gefilte fish, maybe some salmon, a few different salads ( ceasar, red cabbage, israeli...) assorted dips, assorted cakes and fruit.

I think that is so annoying and obnoxious. You can put less salads on the mens sides and more cholent but I think whatever you are serving, have some on each on both sides. Nothing worse than being at a simcha and not being served food that you like because you are a woman, or a man.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 7:41 pm
Not to mention it's more of a hassle to prepare more types of foods for women vs men.
Do you have an idea roughly how many people may show up? 50? 100? 150?

* You'll need something to say Kiddush/lechayim on, wine, grape juice, whisky/schnaps, liquor.
It's deinty and easier to serve if drinks are poured into shotglasses before guests arrive.
THIS IS ONE THING YOU CAN ASK YOUR FRIENDS/NEIGHBOURS. Prepare them on metal/plastic trays
don't place them too tight to minimise spillage accident.
* Make sure you have enough water/soft drinks, ice cubes, assume at least 2 disposable cups/plates per person.
* Something easy to prepare and can be stretched to serve more people--fruit platters, crudité with dips (THIS IS ANOTHER ONE TO ASK YOUR NEIGHBOURS FOR HELP). You can cut the night before and keep them in ziplock bags.
* Keep paper towel rolls handy for that inevitable spills.
* Have you thought of seatins? (assume it would be a standing room event, but anyone who needs to sit down)?
* Get challah/knife/plates for distributing handy.
* Ask someone really close (or better your own family member) to check of guest bathroom(s) before/during/after.
Make sure you leave enough tissues/disposable hand towels.
* Do you have a room where people can leave coats/jackets/hats?
Where would guests with young children leave pushchairs?
* Assign someone to give a dvar Torah or do benching/birchat acharona.
You or your DH should say something brief and sweet basically thanking everyone for coming.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 8:04 pm
we did this- the non fancy way Smile
mt dh made a very large cholent, bought take out potato kugel, grapes, may be some other fruits like plums... may be some vegetables like baby carrots and tomatoes don't remember, store bought cookies, drinks. grape juice - people ended up bringing some baked goods last minute so we put them out and it looked nicer but were totally fine if they hadn't. We separated the men and women in to two adjoining rooms but gave the same food except for what people brought which we just divided....
but then again we are simple people Smile

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 4:41 am
our shul makes a really nice kiddush every week. No hot food which I am fine with since we have food at home anyway. And unless you can wash at the kiddush who wants to have to wash again and eat at home when you are full? Our kiddush is always milchig, never meat. Sometimes people making a simcha make a kiddush lunch, but it is advertised as such and there is challa to wash on.

They serve:

cakes
cookies
if fancy sponsored kiddush decorated cookies or cupcakes.
little rounds of (mezonos) bread with tuna, egg, smoked salmon
crackers and dips (herring chummus etc)
fried gefilta fish balls.
fruit platters
if fancy - cheese and crackers

chocolate and candies for kids (there is a special kids table)

potato chips and drinks.

when we get home we usually have challa and cholent after all this food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics