Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Interior Design anyone??

bigbird

Post Mon, Apr 30 2007, 2:36 am
I know it sounds weird to ask advice about home decorating online but I'm totally lost. I just moved into a new house b"h and we need to start buying furniture. I know what I want the place to look like but I know nothing about colour/lighting/space etc. Can anyone tell me where to start? I'm not too keen about getting an interior designer/decorator (what's the difference between them anyway?) in - I feel stupid paying so much just for advice. I just need tips - a bright room that gets very hot from the sun for example. How do I keep the sun out without losing the light?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

DesignMommy

Post Mon, Apr 30 2007, 10:42 am
Mazal Tov on the new house! The difference between and Interior Decorator and an Interior Designer is training. An Interior Designer is fully trained and licsenced. They will have either an associates or a BA in Interior Design and know how to draft (by hand or by computer) blueprints. And Interior Designer can help you remodel kitchens and bathrooms and a decorator cannot. A designer does everything from plans and drawings to picking paint colors and furniture layout.

That said, it is really hard to give any advice about design if you haven't seen the room! If you have a local upscale furniture store, often they have interior design services and can help you find the right window treatment and lighting scheme for the room.
You can also find a decorator or designer who will come in for one consultation (for a flat fee).
Any general things I can help you with, but nothing specific, as I haven't seen your space.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics