Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
How do I prevent Avocado from getting black?
Previous  1  2

workaholicmama

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:41 am
myself wrote:
Why would they want the avocado to turn black when the baby is born? Confused

Just a way to let the family know everything is ok when they can't call on shabbos....

ahuva06

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 4:27 am
That is the coolest idea ever!

happyfaces

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:06 am
Yes it really does work! Incredible! !!

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:14 am
I have to try it - it makes no sense.
I tried googling it for info but came up with nothing.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:35 am
Never worked for me! The only thing that I found helps is wrapping the dish tight with saran wrap. Then you skim off the top layer.

ahuva06

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 12:14 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
Just a way to let the family know everything is ok when they can't call on shabbos....

I spoke about this at the shabbos table with my fam because I got such a kick out of the idea!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 1:47 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
Huh?

myself

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 1:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Huh?

The poster mentioned a shaila about whether one is allowed to take an avocado pit in a cup of water when a women goes into labour on Shabbos and then remove it when the baby is born. The post above was her response to my question as to why they would want the avocado to get black when the baby is born.

Cute idea! LOL

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 4:12 pm
myself wrote:
The poster mentioned a shaila about whether one is allowed to take an avocado pit in a cup of water when a women goes into labour on Shabbos and then remove it when the baby is born. The post above was her response to my question as to why they would want the avocado to get black when the baby is born.

Cute idea! LOL
So if they take the pit with them in a cup of water, and leave the avocado home on the counter, they expect that when they remove the pit at the hospital, the avocado at home will suddenly turn brown?
This is not a science and not a guarantee at all.
While I know the pit in the water works most of the time, it doesn't work quite perfectly like that.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 5:22 pm
Lol I never heard of this. I can mash some avocado and leave it uncovered on the counter, then put the avocado pit into a cup of water, and the mashed avocado will stay green? Logic says this won't work. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 8:01 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Lol I never heard of this. I can mash some avocado and leave it uncovered on the counter, then put the avocado pit into a cup of water, and the mashed avocado will stay green? Logic says this won't work. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

You should cover and refrigerate the mashed avocado. The pit in the water can stay on the counter.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 8:26 pm
Avocado's change color due to oxidation. If you have a bowl of guacamole you can press plastic wrap to the surface to keep the air from contact. If you have a half of avocado left be sure it is the pitted side. Place it face down in a bowl and fill the bowl with water until it covers the raw avocado (the pit helps keep it off the bottom of the bowl).

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 8:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You should cover and refrigerate the mashed avocado. The pit in the water can stay on the counter.

No way. LOL If I cover and refrigerate the mashed avocado, it is no longer exposed to air and it doesn't turn brown. That's what I do all the time.*

To prove that the avocado pit in water is what keeps the avocado green (or most likely not) I will leave the avocado uncovered on the counter (thereby exposed to air, which is what changes the color of avocado in the first place) with the avocado pit in water right next to it. Anyone taking bets on whether or not the avocado will turn brown?

*Hey I have a great tip for keeping your avocado green. Cover it with an airtight cover, preferably plastic wrap pressed into the avocado to seal out all air. Then - this part is important - throw the avocado pit in the garbage. Works every time. Twisted Evil

myself

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 1:45 am
ra_mom wrote:
So if they take the pit with them in a cup of water, and leave the avocado home on the counter, they expect that when they remove the pit at the hospital, the avocado at home will suddenly turn brown?
This is not a science and not a guarantee at all.
While I know the pit in the water works most of the time, it doesn't work quite perfectly like that.

Personally, I've never seen it work. I just explained what the poster was saying. LOL

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 3:18 am
It's been a while since I had to design an experiment here, but this is a really easy one.

Well if all we want to test is whether leaving the pit in the avocado helps, see here. You can repeat the procedure yourself. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html

But let's test the idea that removing the pit and putting it in water leads to different results from removing the pit and tossing it in the trash, using it for juggling practice, or burning it and scattering its ashes on a ring of toadstools. So you get a bunch of avocados. Remove all the pits. For each avocado, flip a coin and if it comes up heads put the pit in water and if tails don't. Make sure you can tell which avocados' pits are which later. Maybe line them up and write down on a piece of paper which is which. Or put the pits right next to the avocados in opaque and covered bowls so you don't have to write anything down. Ask someone who wasn't around before, and has no way of knowing which pits are in water and which aren't to compare the aging of the different avocados. Repeat this observation periodically until all of the avocados have turned black. Or some of them have and you get hungry.

Make sure the conditions are the same for all the avocados. You don't want some in a place where the sun will shine on them at various times of day and others not or some nearer the oven.

If you want to separate the pits from the avocados by some distance, make sure to label the bowls in a way that the avocado watcher can't use to tell if the remote pit is in water or not.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics