Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What can I do with an unripe pineapple?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:19 pm
Ugh, when I cut open the pineapple (whose label did say 'Perfectly Ripe' and I could pull the leaves easily) this evening, it turned out to be really unripe. Almost pale white and sour, no hint of sweetness.

I don't have time to return it to the shop till Sunday and if I leave till then it would probably spoil. So what can I do with this? The only thing is, I can't make ice/sorbet because I have absolutely no space in a freezer. I'm willing to think out of the box, I'd consider something that's not desserts too.

Alternatively, is there a way to 'ripen' a pineapple that's already cut in half?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:22 pm
What about some kind of pineapple compote or jam - This is for pancakes but I bet you could use like a sweet chutney with plain chicken.

1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into ½ inch pieces
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Directions

Cook pineapple and brown sugar in skillet over medium heat until pineapple is translucent and has light brown hue, 15- 18 minutes. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl.
Return juices to skillet and simmer until thickened and beginning to darken. 6-8 minutes

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:23 pm
I think you are out of luck Sad A cut pineapple will not ripen, only rot.
And I hear eating unripe pineapple is dangerous.
http://www.livestrong.com/arti.....ects/

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:32 pm
I don't think it would be dangerous to eat - it's just a not very tasty pineapple. This happens to me because looks are deceptive with fruit. FWIW, the only foolproof method I have found to choose pineapple is to smell it - if it smells like a wonderful pineapple, I have found it to be tasty.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 4:53 pm
What about pineapple chicken?

cbg

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 5:53 pm
Maybe grill it.
Never tried it.
Let us know.

mille

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 6:08 pm
How about jamaican jerk chicken? Maybe something like this: http://www.marthastewart.com/3.....icken

Or I'd find a recipe where it's more of a jerk 'sauce' (I've used this in the past: http://www.budgetbytes.com/201.....cken/)

I think the strong flavors from the jerk seasoning/sauce will mask some of the unripeness of the pineapple, but the pineapple will add a very nice texture to the dish!

bigsis144

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 7:40 pm
Similar to grilling, I cut pineapple into chunks and saute it in a large frying pan with a little oil. It caramelizes the outside and makes it sweeter and more flavorful.

Add some sliced green bell peppers, ginger and garlic, then add cubes of chicken and some soy sauce for Hawaiian chicken.

Serve over rice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics