Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitel question

Chani

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 5:16 pm
Would y'all consider buying a synthetic that feels decent and has a skin top? What would you pay for such a thing? How about a human hair sheitel made from hair from China not India (according to the manufacturer) but which doesn't have a hechsher on it?

Can't make up my mind about the first and I guess I ought to ask a rav about the China hair thing, but I was curious what everyone thinks.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 7:18 pm
No. No matter how cheap it is, the hair doesn't last or stay nice very long. It's not worth it, unless you want to replace it every few mos.

Chani

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 7:29 pm
I wonder how long it would need to last to make it break even... If a Shevy is about $1500, and my HH sheitels have tended to last only about 2-3 years. It seems to me that I could buy a new one at $100 every 3 months and come out ahead...

taffy

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 9:10 pm
My friend buys synthetics in a non-Jewish wig shop in Downtown Brooklyn. She pays $20-$25 apiece and her sis who is a sheitelmacher fixes it up for her. She replaces it every six months. Though I have to say her sheitels look like customs, and lots of people compliment her on them. Hold a moment, I'll get you the phone no. and address.

Ok here it is: Feel Beauty Supply, 370 Fulton ST. Bklyn NY 11201, 718-852-6889.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:04 pm
some can wear them but others can't. it depends on your style and the color you like on yourself.

also . . . if the synthetics are like what I used to wear, they are hot & heavy, and the non Jewish companies didn't supple ir so they didn't cover m y hair all that well (payos).

su7kids

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:11 pm
Chani wrote:
Would y'all consider buying a synthetic that feels decent and has a skin top? What would you pay for such a thing? How about a human hair sheitel made from hair from China not India (according to the manufacturer) but which doesn't have a hechsher on it?

Can't make up my mind about the first and I guess I ought to ask a rav about the China hair thing, but I was curious what everyone thinks.

I have a chinese human hair sheitel and its very stiff. No amount of washing and conditioner has made it normal.

I bought it on ebay and thought I was getting a deal becasue it was "human hair", and not indian.

Its kosher, and does the job, but I dno't like it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels