Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What would you think if you saw this?
Previous  1  2

See post
Her mother is so laid back and easygoing, letting her pick out her own clothes and dress herself   
 64%  [ 76 ]
How could her mother let her leave the house that way? You should look your best on Yom tov  
 11%  [ 14 ]
None of the above. Please specify  
 23%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 117

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 8:58 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I literally wouldn't notice. (Not even sure what it means to have a backwards shell. How can you tell?$

If it's a light colored shell the label might show.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 8:59 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
If it's a light colored shell the label might show.

Gotcha.

Laiya

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 9:43 pm
I loved reading all the above responses. So nice to see so many mothers with the right priorities and values!

I know a woman whose kids are always mismatched. Pretty much all ages, all the time. But her kids have the most beautiful middos I've ever seen. I try to learn parenting tips from her whenever we meet up.

Really, clothes are clothes. Who cares?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 2:58 am
"I hope I remember this after Shabbat to post about"

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 3:49 am
Dear OP,

I would be interested to know what you thought originally, and if the responses here had any impact on how you would evaluate such a situation in the future.

Thank you for asking this interesting question, and for being open to hear how others respond to the world.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 4:11 am
I probably wouldn't even notice unless the girl was running around right in front of me for over an hour. Then I'd think it was cute how she dressed herself.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:29 am
My 11 year old still put her shirts on backwards and until she was 8 or 9, her shoes on the wrong feet.

I once went to work with my shirt inside out and some nice lady stopped me to tell me.

Short answer for maybe she dressed in the dark, was in a rush or frankly is the type of kid who just doesn't care.

Personally, I want my 11 year old to remain "little" until she's ready to be "big." It will come soon enough.

MamaBear

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:42 am
I don't care if my kids insist on the same clothes all the time or unique combinations. At least I try not to care Wink But I do insist they change out of dirty clothes or ripped clothes etc There's a difference between looking shabby and looking creative. My daughter doesn't have to wear her beautiful yuntif clothes if she truly doesnt like them (and I've learned to buy less as a result) but I don't believe it's proper for her to look like she rolled out of bed, hair a mess, clothes on backwards.

Liebs

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:01 pm
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
That daddy was in charge today and the kid wanted to wear this dress.

My DH lets me sleep in a lot on Shabbos. If kids want to go with him to shul he will tell them to get dressed and meet him there (it's on our block). Sometimes they come home and I'm mortified but it's the price I pay for my shabbos sleep! (I work hard a whole week and need to catch up on sleep on Shabbos).

LovetoLive

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:59 pm
I started this thread because I was wondering what others thought when they saw my little girl in shul on yom tov.
She is strong willed and independent, chooses her own clothes and dresses herself. And wont let me brush her (short) hair.

The responses talking about neglect made me cringe and the ones assuming their must be some issue with me as the mother (in labor, exhausted or whatever) also made me cringe.

Is it so unusual that a little girl would choose to dress herself and the mother would choose not to fight this battle?

STMommy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 2:16 pm
Good for you OP. You keep raising your daughter to be strong willed and independent. We need women like her in the world!

SRS

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 2:49 pm
LovetoLive-I wouldn't notice because I'd be looking at the own bizarre ways my children have dressed themselves or the fact that they need haircuts and that they have refused those.

I've always wondered just what families with children who dress matchy-patch or who wear what they are told down to the accessories are doing differently because it ain't happening here.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 3:11 pm
I might notice in passing, but I doubt it would be compelling enough to stimulate further speculation.

I certainly would not jump to any conclusions about neglect (!) on the basis of this isolated incident. That's plain nuts.

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 3:52 pm
chouli wrote:
It could have been my daughter Wink

mine too, I didn't get a chance to go through the closets yet so somethings are still hanging. I use some dresses that have seen better days for Shabbos robes or running around the sukkah. not for shul and dd left before I saw what she was wearing

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 3:56 pm
with interesting outfits and strong willed kids. I am greatful that they are dressed. so what it isn't what I would put on them.
boys with holes in pants. not neglected. just very hard on pants, same with white shirts. brand new the next time black. do I keep on having to buy new ones to keep them snowy white?
pants too short or too long. lol they don't make a normal difference in sizes. its either way too big or too short- one kid refused to go up a size. I gave up the fight
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics