Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Groceries/household items

mommy08

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:30 am
Is it more economical to buy groceries(chicken, meat, non perishables), household items(soaps, toilet paper, paper plates etc) as needed or stock up? Mad

pesek zman

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:36 am
Stock up when on sale and/or by shopping at club stores

kollel wife

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:42 am
It is only economical if you're not twisting yourself in circles to do it. You also have to have the money to lay out in order to stock up.

For example, next week in Shoprite Scotties large tissues boxes are on sale - approximately 1.50 for a large box - I think it's the three pack.

I will stock up and buy 50-60 boxes and then not have to worry and not have to pay 2.50 a box or more for the same thing.

Keep in mind that some bulk items, like cereals, snacks can eventually taste stale if kept a very long time. And tastes may change.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Nov 13 2015, 9:47 am
But not everyone has room to backstock 60 boxes of tissues.

November

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 1:35 pm
Also you have to remember that you have those items and be able to find them when needed.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 14 2015, 3:53 pm
If you pay attention, you'll notice that certain sales seem to recur at predictable intervals. So if I know that the tissues I like tend to go on sale every couple of months, then I know I don't need to stock up on 60 boxes which I don't have room to store, I only need a couple of months' worth (whatever that means for my family; probably closer to 10 boxes which will be more than enough but leave me some leeway for just in case.) for some items the BEST BEST BEST price doesn't happen so often but a very good price does, so in those cases I don't wait for the absolute rock bottom - I have what I consider a reasonable price and that's when I buy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains