Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Climbing out!

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:00 am
DD is almost two, and very aware and verbal. she has been able to climb out of her pacnplay and crib for quite a while, but more recently, (with some growth and practice,) it is effortless and she can do it in a split second. She climbs out within seconds of being put down for a nap and has also just learned to open the door of her bedroom, so she just leaves! I put her back in and she just comes right out. Last night, exhausted from not napping, she went to sleep nicely, but she came out of her crib 4x- at 9pm, 11pm, 4 am and 5am! I have explained that it's unsafe, she knows, she has gotten little scrapes from it, and she doesn't care. I have told her she needs to stay, and again, she gets it, but she doesn't choose to cooperate. Smile

I don't want to put a net over her crib because I am concerned about safely, and don't want to lock her in, now that she can open the door. I suppose I could put a safety doorknob cover… But I am looking for some better ideas.

The issues are getting her to stay there and fall asleep,
and getting her to continue to sleep there all night (even after a briefly wakes up, instead of turning over and going back to sleep like she used to).

Is it time for a bed? (agh!)

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:03 am
Get her a toddler bed with rails. Have a star chart and lots of praise for staying in her bed until the morning.
I moved most of my kids by 1 1/2.

cm

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 12:21 pm
As soon as they can climb out, it's time for a regular bed, IMHO. No bedrails; we found they caused more problems than they prevented.

Agree with above - use rewards to keep her in her room at night. For safety you may need to secure the door if she is likely to get up and roam the house when all the adults are asleep. Be sure to check on her frequently.

We found that the getting up phase passed once the novelty wore off.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 4:38 pm
Thank for your input.

Tried the bed tonight. I hyped it up, took the side off the crib to make it a toddler bed, (she really prefers to sleep in the pac n play) and told her she'd set a sticker and a mitzvah note if she stayed in her bed. she hardly stayed more than 5 minutes at a stretch. I probably returned her to the bed 60 times, at which point she was being hyper and silly, so I finally and then gave up and put her in the pac n play. she came out of there about seven times, but eventually fell asleep. I am sure she will be up and wandering around many times tonight...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics