Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Eye contact

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:19 pm
When talking to a person face to face, what is the correct way of looking at them? I look at the eyes and mouth. Is this the socially acceptable way of looking at someone when conversing?

justforfun87

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 6:34 am
Maintain eye contact with occasional breaks as you don't want to come off as being too intense. Do you find it difficult to converse with adults?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 9:16 am
If your are neurotypical and not on the Autism spectrum, then it will vary. Eye contact is a cultural thing, and will change depending on who you are talking to. The best thing to do is to mirror the other person, as that will make them the most comfortable.

You mention that you look at their mouth. Have you had your hearing tested lately? I ask this, because I lost about 75% of my hearing when I was a child, and I taught myself to lipread. I find that if people don't know what I'm doing, it can make them very uncomfortable until I explain what's going on. They often think they've lost an earring, because my eyes are focused so intently on that area!

I make an effort to look from lips to eyes, but it's hard for me, because I don't want to miss what someone is saying, and there is so much emotional context you can pick up from watching someone's eyes while they speak.

If I had to live in a culture where you are not supposed to look directly at the person who is speaking to you, I'd have an extremely hard time. By the same token, people who "stare" at me when they talk don't bother me in the least! If I were shy, I'm sure it would freak me out.

sprayonlove

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:25 am
I read somewhere that you can look at a point between the persons eyes. This way you don't come off to strong by intensely staring into someone's eyes.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:56 am
Here are 2 good articles on eye contact:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/e.....takes

http://www.stevenaitchison.co......ills/

observer

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 12:42 pm
Look at their eyes

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 6:44 pm
I'm hard of hearing. I look at their mouth. So far nobody's accused me of wanting to kiss them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette