Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Constant screaming! Help!

new2dallas

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 11:27 pm
My son is now 14 months. He screams all the time! After 4 months of trial and error, I can confidently say it has nothing to do with sleep, food, diapers, or clothes. It isn't boredom, it isn't over stimulation. It isn't being at home, outside, in the car, in a store, or any other building. It is absolutely none of these things, and all of these things, no matter what I do. Has anyone experienced this? What do you do if your toddler screams all the time? I'm so tired of having headaches every day!!!

luppamom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:51 am
Frustration?

My DD has gotten a lot better in the screaming department now that she can communicate better. She's not saying sentences or anything, but she is often able to convey to us what she wants. Also, she FINALLY completely outgrew her second nap and isn't cranky the entire afternoon.

paprika

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 4:16 am
Habit. If he's been screaming all his life, he might just be in the habit of screaming. And when he gets all the attention he desires, it reinforces the screaming.

Start by telling him to talk nicely, even though he can't talk. He won't know what you want from him and he'll continue screaming. Keep on repeating yourself. Tell him that when he talks nicely, you'll give him xyz. When he pauses out of exhaustion, tell him "now you stopped screaming, now you can have it", and give him what he wants. It'll take a few days until he gets what you want from him.

Your goal is to get him to say "uh" when he wants something, in a pleasant tone of voice, until he learns to talk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics