Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
How do you celebrate Tu b'Shvat?

myself

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:06 pm
Tu b'Shvat is one of those days where anything goes in terms of 'celebrating' the day. There are numerous different minhagim and most families have their own way. Some simply prepare a fruity menu whilst others have various minhagim that add a spiritual dimension to the day.
How do you celebrate the day?

Short on time now, will share what we do later on.

Hope you're enjoying your fruits! LOL

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:11 pm
We sing "haskediya porachat..." oh and eat some dried fruits because, why not. Of course my dates which say on the box "tamar yisraeli" say on the side "yevul chul" and I think much of the dried fruit is imported ( I live in Israel). I miss that buxer they used to give in school when we were kids (in NJ), never knew what to do with that!
P.S. I have a shkediya. It is definitely not porachat...it is shaking during this wild storm!

cm

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:40 pm
We have a seder with fifteen kinds of fruits, including the seven species. Over the years we have accumulated a few different resources; sometimes the seder is more elaborate, sometimes less. If it falls on Shabbat, we invite guests to join us, otherwise it is a casual family event.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:44 pm
We eat dried fruits, try to aim for the 7 species though nobody here ever finishes the rimon juice and the fresh fruit is out of season, so we skipped it this year.

Wasting Time- and what happened to the "shemesh paz zorachat"? It barely feels like Tu Bishvat!

etky

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:54 pm
Don't forget it's a leap year so Tu b'Shvat comes out early in the Gregorian calendar.
So really, it's smack in the middle of winter.
We don't really do anything for Tu b'Shvat. No one in the family really likes the dried fruit.
I snack on almonds with raisins all the time so tomorrow I'll think of Tu b"Shvat as I munch away.
The kids are bummed because Bnei Akiva cancelled the netiyot due to the weather and now they have to go to school tomorrow instead - that is, unless it snows overnight, which it might.

myself

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 5:22 pm
Ours is also a casual family event. We aim for 15 fruits which include some of the Shivas Haminim and at least one new fruit for Shechiyanu. I bought a little, and then asked DH to buy a little more so for some reason we ended up with 25 this year!

We eat mostly fresh fruit, though some dried, and we also have a minhag to eat esrog followed by a prayer for a nice esrog the coming Succos. DH and DC also generally sing the song אילן במה אברכך which is somewhat of prayer and is always beautiful.

By my parents they also say the fifteen Shir Hamaalos together out loud but DH doesn't do that.

I'd love to make a fruity dinner but with so much fresh fruit who can eat a proper meal?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 5:24 pm
We add a platter of dried fruits including some shivas haminim to our dessert. Some years we incorporate all 7 minim into our menu.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:40 am
We get fruits we like, not all the Israel fruits that are mentioned, plus a new fruit. We eat. No seder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days