Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Food budget- healthy eating

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:15 pm
HOW can I reduce my food bills when eating healthy? We're a family of 7 and I spend about $350-400 weekly on food. Fruits and veggies add up but I'm sure I could save $50-$100 a week... Any guidance??? Thanks!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:29 pm
Define what you consider healthy eating... whole grain... grain free... organic...etc. etc.?

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 12:26 am
Don't buy processed foods. You'll automatically be both healthier and spending less. It might take some more time and energy though.

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:47 am
Don't get sucked in by so called 'healthy products'. How healthy are you? Kinda healthy - whole grain flour, honey etc. or something else/more than that (Gluten free? Organic? etc.)?

The best is to stick to raw, fresh ingredients and not buy anything ready-made, as with processed things, the 'healthier' it gets, the more expensive it gets, and it isn't even so good for you anyway. e.g. white pasta -> wholewheat pasta -> brown rice pasta -> buckwheat pasta etc.

You get more nutrition for your buck by spending money on just fruit, veg, good quality olive oil and proteins. Leave out the fancy stuff.

Concentrate on organic (if you do that) just for the dirty dozen. Eat lots of eggs (the cholesterol thing was a myth).

And the bottom line that I always tell myself: You are meant to spend a decent amount of money on food. Just because we could eat cheaper if we ate less healthy, doesn't mean we are meant to. First fulfill your nutritional requirements, then worry about money. Just because others survive on white pasta and spend hardly anything, doesn't mean it's smart. I struggle with this immensely - I like to save money and used to do it by not eating enough protein, but now I am very strict with myself that amount of protein at a meal is not negotiable!

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:55 am
Op here sorry if I wasn't specific. When I say healthy, I'm referring to fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy proteins like fish and chicken, and some ready made foods for shabbos (not in the healthy category such as Apple kugel, potato kugel challah and cake since I'm working full time.)
My husband and kids are not big grain eaters or fancy milchig eaters. But proteins add up!
I try not to be cheap but isn't there a limit? Just looking for some advice..

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:39 am
I like to make organic and protein a priority and I still spend way less than you...
I do very well by buying organic produce at my local BJs. They have tons of organic fresh and frozen fruits and veggies at really good prices and nice quantities. Sardines are also an excellent price there. We go once every 3 weeks.

I also do well at trader joes. Their bananas are the cheapest as well as dried fruit and almonds. We go once a month.

I also work full time, but homemade food is my priority. We eat very little processed food. My kids get a processed snack a few times a week and I buy gluten free bread for one child because its just better. I also buy organic applesauce because I cant make it as cheap and my kids eat tons. Other than that I make everything. I bake sourdough bread for those who eat bread.
It really isnt such a big deal

We eat protien at every meal. Supper is fleishigs is almost every night. Lentils once a week as on average as some sort of dish. Once a month maybe milchigs. Chicken I will stock up when on sale or cook around whatever cut was on sale that week. Organic meat in Brooklyn is now available at regular meat prices so we buy that for shabbos and sometimes chopped meat during the week when in sale.

Obviously not everything will work for you but its how we do it.

Teomima

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:59 am
There's more to protein than expensive meats. Legumes are both incredibly cheap and incredibly healthy and are an amazing source of protein. As a bonus it's easy to make large amounts to last several meals (think chili, bean salad, lentil soup, etc). Buy dried in bulk.

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:43 am
or use less meat stir frys stews etc you can stretch the proteins

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 12:50 pm
I'd look into how much the ready made food is costing. I wouldn't be suprised if that is a large portion of the bill.

we recently started eating more healthy because we are dieting and counting calories. Which means we are eating tons more vegetables and I have seen that push our bill up a lot. I splurge on checked lettuce and celery and baby carrots all the time now.
We are also eating a lot more chicken cutlets (but not a ton - like 4- 6 oz per adult weighed), only whole wheat and whole grains. Which also cost more.
But 1 1/2 lb of chicken cutlets is more enough for supper for the 6 of us (2 adults and 4 children) with brown rice\quinoa, salad and veggie soup. I stock up on sale - like 4.99.

My bill is around $200 - 250 per month and includes a lot of paper goods.
I try to make as much myself as possible to know what is going into the food and have better control over the ingredients.

I'm finding some healthy foods coming out cheaper. Like we stopped eating cold cereal and are only eat oatmeal for breakfast (and sometimes egg and whole wheat bread). We throw in berries which brings up the price but I still think it comes out significantly cheaper.

mammala120

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:59 pm
Please post recipe for sourdough. Thanx

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 9:13 pm
mammala120 wrote:
Please post recipe for sourdough. Thanx

You mean for the starter or the things I bake with it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics