Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is it wrong to dress like cheerleaders
Previous  1  2

Miri7

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:54 am
Old fashioned cheerleader outfits are quite tznius. I'm thinking sweater and long skirt with socks. It also easy! Just pin a letter on the front of the sweater, color coordinating ribbon in hair, get pom poke and you're done!

I think it's a fine idea. But I live OOT

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 1:55 pm
I'm not going to comment on the tznius aspect, but I've never seen cheerleaders at a baseball game. That's more of a football or even basketball thing.

cm

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 2:17 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I'm not going to comment on the tznius aspect, but I've never seen cheerleaders at a baseball game. That's more of a football or even basketball thing.

In Japan there are cheerleaders for baseball, FWIW.

I assumed the girls' costumes were separate from the boys'.

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 2:34 pm
Cheerleaders: a great idea that truly offers something for everyone!

* People who are hyper-vigilant about tznius can be offended because cheerleaders represent a hyper-s-xualized view of womanhood.

* Feminists can be offended because cheerleaders represent a hyper-s-xualized view of womanhood.

* Feminists can be offended because cheerleaders represent a stereotypical depiction of males as the dominant actors and women relegated to supporting roles.

* Safety monitors can be offended because competitive cheerleading is an unusually dangerous sport, resulting in a high rate of catastrophic injuries.

* Cheerleaders can be offended because the emphasis on cute costumes takes away from the intense physical conditioning required.

* Cheerleaders can be offended because putting cheerleaders in the context of male sports competitions is an outdated model.

* People who want to discourage interest in non-Jewish sports can be offended because cheerleaders glorify such interest.

Did I miss anyone? Most costumes are only offensive to one or two groups -- seven would definitely give you a significant lead in the contest!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:14 pm
I don't see it as offensive, especially as I assume they will be wearing the more modest vintage costumes. Cheerleading is already a sport of its own.

And if you do want an alternative, have them dress up as Umps. Then they'll get to boss your boys around all Purim long. Smile

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 4:54 pm
If they're going to be wearing a Bais Yaakov skirt and a turtleneck under a v-neck sweater onto which you've stapled a crepe-paper megaphone cutout and carrying a couple of plastic pompoms, what's the problem? We're not talking Dallas Cowgirls, are we?

My4Jewels

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 5:00 pm
please somebody tell me what is wrong with a cheerleader outfit like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toddle.....55851

I do not see why a cheerleader costume is not ok. I mean with just about any costume nowadays there is a s-xy version. So pick one like this.

BayMom

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
We did it one year. It was fine. We live in a chossidish community. Someone would have said something to me if there was an issue.

I would venture to say that most people in that community probably don't know what a cheerleader is.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:14 pm
It's not a matter of if they'll dress tznius'dig or not. I'm sure they will dress eidel. The problem is with the connotation it evokes. And yes, in today's days, cheerleaders are s-xualized so OP may want to stay away.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:52 pm
I think this is silly. I don't see a problem if they dress like cheerleaders.

There are many people that are sheltered enough that they don't even know about the s-xual connotations associated with cheerleaders. Really how should they know? They don't watch ballgames (or any tv for that matter) and don't read secular newspapers or magazines (and I do know a nice amount of lakewood families like that). So now these people can't dress their kids in a innocent (for them) costume?
so what that now its not so innocent? It used to be and that is what they're dressing up as -a vintage cheerleader. I seriously don't think it's a problem and if anyone wants to think more deeply into it, feel free but don't waste too much headspace.

the world's gone waayy too PC.
Maybe kids can't dress up as a nurse because of nurse betty connotations. Rolling Eyes

debsey

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 1:31 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I don't see it as offensive, especially as I assume they will be wearing the more modest vintage costumes. Cheerleading is already a sport of its own.

And if you do want an alternative, have them dress up as Umps. Then they'll get to boss your boys around all Purim long. Smile

Will it raise eyebrows in Lakewood? Yes. OP, you have to decide if it's worth it for you to deal with potential fallout. If it's worth it - if this is your "Do Or Die" issue, have fun with that. If not, I love the idea of umpires! So cute, and they can boss the boys around. (plus baseball in America doesn't usually have cheerleaders, so umpires is a bit closer to your theme, not that this matters)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics