Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl name meaning Noble
Previous  1  2  3

observer

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:
yes Yentel/Yenta is the same

Do you know the source? So interesting.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:51 am
a simple but basic name ... Chana = gracious

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:49 am
What language is Ethel?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:54 am
Hadar
shalva

OP, what was your grandmother's name that you don't want to use?

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
What language is Ethel?

I would call that "I love lucy"

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 5:32 pm
Ethel and Adele are etymologically related. Both mean noble. And they're both related to the Yiddish word eidel, meaning refined. Obviously, Ethel now connotes frumpy and dowdy, while Adele connotes popular and beautiful.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 5:38 pm
Ethel is Anglo-Saxon; Adele is German, French, Italian.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 4:25 pm
observer wrote:
Do you know the source? So interesting.

Romance languages, originally Latin. Compare with gentil.

Ethel is very trendy in France among Jews. Pronounced Etel.

new2dallas

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 1:03 am
OP here. Thanks for all of the feedback, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Her name wasn't Hebrew and she didn't have a Hebrew name (her Yiddish name was Pesha). I can't do so many of the names suggested because it's either my name, a living relative's name, or against some of our "name rules" DH and I have. Nothing leading to teasing, must be (modern) Hebrew, and a few others. It's my first girl and I can't believe it is so hard! Is there a website or something people use to find names with meanings? I don't want a name that will mean something like an animal, a plant, or a color. I want a positive personality trait - like noble - that gives the baby a spiritual connection. Am I the only one who does this?

DrMom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 1:16 am
What about Malka? Queens are noble...

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 1:26 pm
So in our family, they say that Pesha comes from Basya / Batya (my great grandmother was Pesha) - they say that Pesha and Pessel are both Yiddish nicknames from Pesya (this part is general knowledge, not just us) and then my family says that Pesya is really Basya (בתיה) (this might not be real, but this is waht my family holds by). At any rate, Basya / Batya is a beautiful and meaningful name because it means daughter of G-d.

Let us know what you choose Smile

pointyshoes

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 2:57 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Ethel and Adele are etymologically related. Both mean noble. And they're both related to the Yiddish word eidel, meaning refined. Obviously, Ethel now connotes frumpy and dowdy, while Adele connotes popular and beautiful.

Just curious about the name Adele- is it a Jewish name? Can it be used? I.e. I know I can call my kid whatever I like but can I name her that in shul?
Love that name!!

etky

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 4:32 pm
DD has a friend named Aderet.
Aderet is a mantle or a cloak. It is an article of clothing associated with neviim but also with royalty.
There is also the famous, soulful piyut called "Ha-aderet (here it means magnificence) Ve-haemunah" that we sing on Yamim Noraim, so in my mind it is a name associated with something very spiritual.
Then there is Ateret - again, an article associated with royalty, which is really the same as Atara but is a less commonly used form of the name.

flippingout18!

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:08 pm
atara means crown...relates to nobility, royalty etc.

wiki

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 9:27 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
Just curious about the name Adele- is it a Jewish name? Can it be used? I.e. I know I can call my kid whatever I like but can I name her that in shul?
Love that name!!

אדל was the name of the daughter of the Baal Shem Tov, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to name your daughter that in shul. That said, it's definitely not Hebrew (but nothing has stopped generations of Jews from giving their daughters non-Hebrew names).

(And, for the record, the Besht probably pronounced אדל closer to "Odel" or "Hodel" than "Adele." But whatever. Wink )

I'm loving the suggestions of Batya and Aderet.

gam zeh yaavor

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 9:36 pm
I think reva means noble

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 11:26 pm
I love Aderet - so pretty and unique!

Same for Adira.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names