Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp - are your kids allowed to call home?
Previous  1  2

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 7:24 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I think it's sick and the policy is in place because people running the camp don't want to be inconvenienced. Staff members have access to phones whenever they want. The phone lines are insane on Fridays. The kids have down time every day, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to call home then. The policy is in place because what ends up happening is kids missing part of activities or messing up schedules because they were on the phone.

I used to get up early sometimes and call then, before the day's activities started and there was no one around to tell me off.

I can't speak for every camp but I think this is a sweeping generalization that definitely does not apply to the camps I work for, and I sure hope isn't how most camps are.
I've been working in camps for many years and I firmly believe that these phone policies are put in place for good reasons and only benefit the campers.
And while of course there are lots of parents who would appreciate more frequent calls, I think there are also lots of parents who are glad they have a short break from dealing with the daily ups and downs of their child's life.
It's much healthier to let the counselors handle these things than to have the child tell his mother every day on the phone about all the little normal camp issues and have her worry about them, contact the camp about them, come pick him up, etc. The camp will let you know if there's a real problem.

sneakermom

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:04 am
I think back to when I went to camp and it's astounding how the world changed!

My friends and I did not have the same level of trust and communication with our parents as many kids today do.

Also the world was more safe. Or at least it felt that way. We never heard of kids being s-xually abused by staff or bunk mates. Our parents didn't even dream to caution us.

The camp I went to was very responsible. If a problem arose it was taken care of immediately. And many camps continue to run that way.

But my parents had no idea if I was happy or depressed. If my bunk was a good match and I had friends or if they alienated me and made me feel like a leper. If the strep I came down with was getting better or not. If I was having the best time of my life or the worst experience imaginable.

I have no problem with giving my kids space. Letting them go to enjoy and make their own way. It's so healthy and fun.

But that doesn't mean it's not important to give a parent a call. To touch base. Make sure all is okay. And to know that the option is readily available should you need it.

animeme

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:37 am
Re. the strep, my kids' camps call any time a kid comes in for something other than an ice pack, etc. They let the kid talk to me if said child wants. They certainly call me if a kid needs antibiotics (though they take care of it), and encourage me to call back to ask how the kid is doing. All kids staying in the infirmary get to call home as often as they like.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 9:28 pm
little_mage wrote:
When I went to sleep away camp as a kid, we didn't call home. Period. I assume if there had a been a real emergency a call would have been made, but there wasn't an option for campers to call home. We had to write letters. At least once a week they gave us a form letter to fill out to ensure that something made it home (they were kind of joke among the campers, but as an adult it does make sense). I do know in the later years I was there, some of the staff members took pictures and put them up online where parents could access them so that they could see what their kids were doing. If your camp does something like that, it might help even if they aren't hearing from you.

Same!

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:48 pm
sneakermom wrote:
I understand you op. I would also much prefer to speak to my child easily. Without waiting a week, without her waiting on hour long lines, or needing special permission.

I want to know she got there ok. That her bunk is working out. That she's feeling fine. If there's anything important that she wants to tell me or get off her chest.

I am not a helicopter parent. I just like to touch base. Camp is a big change. A lot goes on. And it's important to connect for a few minutes to process it and to make sure all is well.

If I went away for a week you can be sure I would touch base with my husband and kids so why not vise versa?

Agree 100 percent

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:50 pm
sneakermom wrote:
I think back to when I went to camp and it's astounding how the world changed!

My friends and I did not have the same level of trust and communication with our parents as many kids today do.

Also the world was more safe. Or at least it felt that way. We never heard of kids being s-xually abused by staff or bunk mates. Our parents didn't even dream to caution us.

The camp I went to was very responsible. If a problem arose it was taken care of immediately. And many camps continue to run that way.

But my parents had no idea if I was happy or depressed. If my bunk was a good match and I had friends or if they alienated me and made me feel like a leper. If the strep I came down with was getting better or not. If I was having the best time of my life or the worst experience imaginable.

I have no problem with giving my kids space. Letting them go to enjoy and make their own way. It's so healthy and fun.

But that doesn't mean it's not important to give a parent a call. To touch base. Make sure all is okay. And to know that the option is readily available should you need it.

Another excellent post, I totally agree

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:52 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I think it's sick and the policy is in place because people running the camp don't want to be inconvenienced. Staff members have access to phones whenever they want. The phone lines are insane on Fridays. The kids have down time every day, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to call home then. The policy is in place because what ends up happening is kids missing part of activities or messing up schedules because they were on the phone.

I used to get up early sometimes and call then, before the day's activities started and there was no one around to tell me off.

I tend to agree with this- I dont think the policies are put in place for entirely selfless reasons- I think its easier for the staff this way

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:56 pm
OP, you 100 percent should express your concerns to the head staff at the camp. They are legitimate concerns. Why cant your child call home if thats important to you? Dont be shy in expressing your concerns; they are entirely legitimate.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children