Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys schools in Passaic

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:58 am
What are the boys schools like in Passaic and can they handle a kid with learning differences? The child has inattentive ADHD (no behavior problems, just a space cadet) and a few other differences. He can do well in a mainstream classroom as long as he has some support and understanding. We are considering YNJ because we know they're good about this, but I nearly fainted when I saw the tuition. I want to know if there are other options. Also, I have other boys who may not need as much, so if one has to go to YNJ while the others go elsewhere, that's a consideration too.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:59 am
did you look in to the cheder in passaic?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 12:13 pm
No, I don't even know what all my options are. Right now, my most important concern is can they handle a child who needs a little more help. If the answer is no, it's not worth looking at. If the answer is possibly, then I want further information.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 12:17 pm
We looked at the schools in Passaic. Our son also has adhd and I don't think they can handle it as well. Our kids go to YNJ. And, the tuition in Passaic is almost as much as ynj

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 5:22 pm
OK so I understand I should be looking into YNJ, YBH, and Cheder. Can someone tell me about these places? Both in general and for a child with LD. Also, who would I speak to in these places for further details?

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 7:04 pm
There are 3 schools in Passaic-Yeshiva Ketana, YBH and the Cheder. I send to YBH and would not recommend sending a child with LD. YNJ is much better equipped to handle a child with LD. YBH is fine for an average child but a child with any issues will quickly fall behind and the resource room is lacking.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:24 pm
It depends on how severe the issues are. Yeshiva katana has done a great job with my ADHD boy, and hes gotten good services along the way (resource room, extra kriah help, etc.) But I have definitely needed to be an advocate along the way and request help when I felt it was needed, and push for behavior intervention as well when I felt it was needed. I needed to do a lot of case management for him along the way, but bh he has done super well and I am very grateful to the Yeshiva. The Yeshiva also puts together "small classes" to service kids with learning issues, but there are no guarantees that there will be one for your child's age group. I suggest you go down and meet with the hanhalla directly to discuss your concerns, especially if you want to send your other children to YKP. They will be honest with what they can or cannot handle.
As an aside, just wondering, Is your son medicated? Is there anything else you can do for him that will help him be more successful in a mainstream setting ? If you do choose to send him to a mainstream school, meds will be hugely beneficial. I medicated my son and I am very happy with my choice and how he has done with it.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:45 pm
Thanks golden rod. He's not medicated because he just turned 5 and medication is not recommended at this age. If it becomes necessary down the line, he will take them. We're not against it, it's just neither necessary nor recommended at the moment. Also, he is not hyperactive, just inattentive. We don't really know the extent of how it's going to affect him academically, he's just finishing up pre K. Kindergarten will give us a better look at what school is like for him. We are not moving for another year anyway. But I need to start thinking about it now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics