Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What hours do you let landlord show your apartment?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 10:36 am
To prospective tenants, specifically, though I guess to prospective buyers too if that's any different. We told the landlord 6-7 one weeknight and a couple of hours around midday Friday (Israel, so that's the weekend). I will not show strange men into the apartment when dh is not home- we had someone who was clearly mentally unstable come to see an apartment we were in a few years ago and I'm sticking to my guns. 6 is just doable if dh goes into work early and leaves early, but not earlier than that. After 7 I need my baby to wind down and start bedtime by 7:20 or so.

If you're sensing antagonism on my part, we almost had an electrical fire in the kitchen recently because our dunce of a landlord thought a 10A outlet was adequate for a refrigerator. Other points against him- the roof leaked all winter and he doesn't care; the apartment is on a high floor with no way to keep kids from falling out the windows; we're in one of the hotter areas of the country and there aren't so much as screens on the windows, let alone air conditioning (and there are plenty of birds and insects who consider an unscreened window an open invitation); there are exposed wires in most of the rooms.

Oh, and we're leaving a month and a half before our lease is up and said we would obviously continue to pay rent for that time or until he found a new tenant. I said leaving? Yes, we're moving in a week. The house is full of boxes, laundry, mess. I haven't cleaned thoroughly since Pesach (crawling baby who's a light sleeper- can't make noise while she's napping, can't ignore her awake in the playpen for more than 10 minutes at a time to get small tasks done, can't use bleach on all the mildew at any time because I don't want to expose her to the fumes and did I mention no screens on the window to ventilate properly!)

Another point- we are tenants number 5 in 5 years. I am not the only one who has been unable to stand these conditions beyond one year.

So am I really supposed to drop everything and show people around at whatever hour they feel like dropping in all week? It's not like anyone's going to take the apartment if they ask me anything- I'm not going to lie about all the issues we've had, if I can hold myself back from saying them before asked. The extra week or month of rent is worth it for sanity right now, even if the first person who comes were interested in taking it. Oh, and the rent is as low as it gets for this area- that's how we got suckered in- so I expect plenty of people will come just to check it out who won't ultimately be interested in this slum.

sourstix

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 11:23 am
oy it sounds like horrible conditions. but if your moving in a week I would say that they should wait. tell your landlord its very hectic and you cant anymore. he will be fine. or not that is not something you should be concerned about now. I also moved and I know how crazy it can get. its a week before moving so I think you should let him know

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 3:25 pm
What does your contract say?
One thing that I found helpful was to make the landlord come with people.
Also, I made one hour a day max that was the only hour I was available if he wanted to show it.
But if you are moving in a week, and paying for a month of rent after it's already empty, then it's your right to stop showing it to people till you move (unless he is planning on refunding you if he finds someone before your lease finishes).

justmarried

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 4:47 pm
If you're moving in a week and still paying for the month, I wouldn't show the apartment anymore. I don't think it's necessary on your end, and you definitely don't have to go out of your way for such a landlord.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 8:00 am
He would tell me days in advance and we would decide together
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating