Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I hate always being the one to complain!

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:02 pm
My ds started camp today. He came home and said there are close to 40 kids in his bunk!! That is way too much...It's too overwhelming for the kids and too much for the counselors. My ds said they have an extra counselor..big deal. I am not happy. This is not a cheap camp, we deserve more..they should've made an extra bunk...Now I have to say something..I feel like I'm always the one uuggggh!

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:18 pm
I'm not sure if this is just a vent or if you want some advice... so if this is a vent, ignore the advice.

Firstly, hugs, I also hate to be in the position of being the one to complain, it's always really hard to find the right words and to come across as not kvetchy.

Now, for advice, maybe before calling the camp, call other moms, see if they also think this unfair, then perhaps all of you together can approach the camp, or one of you can speak on behalf of the group.

One thing I have found, is that after I've spoken up, other ppl will agree... you might not be the only one.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 6:55 pm
singleagain wrote:
I'm not sure if this is just a vent or if you want some advice... so if this is a vent, ignore the advice.

Firstly, hugs, I also hate to be in the position of being the one to complain, it's always really hard to find the right words and to come across as not kvetchy.

Now, for advice, maybe before calling the camp, call other moms, see if they also think this unfair, then perhaps all of you together can approach the camp, or one of you can speak on behalf of the group.

One thing I have found, is that after I've spoken up, other ppl will agree... you might not be the only one.

Op here I do appreciate the advice..I dont know any of the moms..it was my kids first day and the camp is not even close to my neighborhood..so its not local kids..im going to call and say my ds seemed overwhelmed yesterday...and ask if its a large bunk..I wont take my ds's word for it..just in case and if they tell me yes..I will ask what there plan is..does that sound non kvetchy Smile?

MamaBear

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:00 pm
I've never heard of more than 15-20 kids. What kind of camp is this? Run by a formal organization or what?

momx6

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:05 pm
Is it a camp in Flatbush by any chance?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:39 pm
momx6 wrote:
Is it a camp in Flatbush by any chance?
no its not

isrmss91

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 7:54 pm
Wow that is a lot of kids in one bunk. First of all, is this the norm for this camp to have such large bunks? If yes, there is not much you can do. But if this the only bunk with such a large group of boys, then you can tell them that, that 2 young adults : 40 boys is totally unacceptable, in a camp setting.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 1:12 am
how old is dc? are you sure he's correct?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 2:17 am
DD16 is a counselor in a day camp and she has 22 8 year old campers with one co-counselor and I thought that was a lot!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
how old is dc? are you sure he's correct?
he is almost 12 and I asked my older ds..and he said they need 2 lunch tables ..seems like a lot but I will ask the camp.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 2:44 pm
op here..I still did not here from the camp after leaving a message 2 days ago but I did call the secretary and asked her how many kids are in the bunk and she said less than 39 shock maybe 35 like that's any better! I just feel bad for my ds he is not in the best place socially and this is too much for him..I would love to change his camp but he's been here for a few years, I can't just send him to a new place without knowing anybody.

LisaS

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 6:27 am
I think that complaining and kvetching are the wrong words here. You aren't complaining about what they served at snack time. You are communicating your child's needs and what you see as a problem that you want to work with them to solve. There is nothing to be apologetic about - you should be calling and speaking confidently and respectfully.

Also, make sure you are giving positive feedback whenever you can, e.g. Moshe the counselor is great, Tuesday's activity was really well-done, etc. so you won't be the one "complaining" but rather the one who is communicating.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
he is almost 12 and I asked my older ds..and he said they need 2 lunch tables ..seems like a lot but I will ask the camp.

Yes it is a lot in 1 bunk, but at 12yrs. old, IMO, they don't need as much supervision as 8 yrs, maybe in the pool, but then I expect 2 lifeguards.
To make sure the kids are engaged in the activities,in the right place at the right time, and not killing each other, and that there's no bullying.
12yrs old is almost old enough to be a junior counselor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children