Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can someone explain this to me?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 8:27 am
Was so excited that I've lost some weight, and was going shopping for a chasuna outfit. I've gone from plus size (1x) to fitting in to some of my 12/14s. I went into a frum store known for fitting people, and she took one look at me and said, "Give her an 18/20"--it fit, but I think it's a "little big" (I took the 18/20 b/c the only other size was a 14 and I think it would've been too small). Now I know that I'm still a bit curvier and not a stick, but can someone explain to me why I'm fitting into one size (some of them are my frum-store skirts)--but in the simchawear--I'm FOUR sizes bigger? I know that frum stores are traditionally "cut small"--but FOUR sizes?

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 8:39 am
Inconsistency is women's clothing sizes is annoying, but as long as you look fabulous, who cares what number is printed on the label?

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 8:56 am
As Drmom sated, woman's clothing is sized widely inconsistently and some designers will cut bigger than others.

As a general rule, expensive clothing is cut larger than cheaper clothing but nit necessarily.

Also, there is what is called vanity sizing so what used to be a size 12 is now a size 4. People think that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 but she really wasn't. Maybe a size 6 in modern sizing. My aunts and mothers were not heavy but wore size 14 as adult women. Maybe they were size 6.

Also, some formal wear is still cut by the older sizing so that it is called a 14 but would really be a 6 or 8.

I have a size 2 Donna Karan suit which I think I bought partly to feel like I was a size 2. Donna Karan is a curvy woman and she was known for cutting her clothing to make curvy woman look good. Nit fat but think Barbara Streisand versus a waifish actress. Calvin Klein cut for tall slim women and his stuff never suited my body as well.

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:29 am
Amarante wrote:
As Drmom sated, woman's clothing is sized widely inconsistently and some designers will cut bigger than others.

As a general rule, expensive clothing is cut larger than cheaper clothing but nit necessarily.

Also, there is what is called vanity sizing so what used to be a size 12 is now a size 4. People think that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 but she really wasn't. Maybe a size 6 in modern sizing. My aunts and mothers were not heavy but wore size 14 as adult women. Maybe they were size 6.

Also, some formal wear is still cut by the older sizing so that it is called a 14 but would really be a 6 or 8.

I have a size 2 Donna Karan suit which I think I bought partly to feel like I was a size 2. Donna Karan is a curvy woman and she was known for cutting her clothing to make curvy woman look good. Nit fat but think Barbara Streisand versus a waifish actress. Calvin Klein cut for tall slim women and his stuff never suited my body as well.

Sometimes I would be one size in DK and sometimes in another without gaining weight. The sizes would be marked very different, but if you hold them up together, they were the same size. LOL I was told by the manager of one of her stores that she cuts her clothes bigger when she gains weight.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:33 am
Sizes mean nothing. I wear XS and I wear XL.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:36 am
As long as it looks good on, I don't look at sizing. Cause every company runs different. I have some size 2 & some 10! I'm a 6! I definitely feel better in the size 2, but nowadays size means nothing.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 10:43 am
Amarante wrote:

Thanks, I guess this does make me feel a little bit better.

trixx

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:39 pm
Vanity sizing all the way.

It must be disappointing in your scenario, when you've worked to lose the weight and are excited to see that reflected in your sizing, so take it from someone who looks skinny but in actuality owns clothing sized from 0-6 (if I wore straight skirts that fit at the hips I could easily be an 8, too).

When I shop online I look only at measurements. On certain sites this makes me a consistent x, xs or 4. Sometimes it puts me at xl (lol Chinese sites made for stick Asians). As long as it looks good on me. And in fitting rooms in person, depending on the item, I'll grab 3 sizes to try on. Labels really are just that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics