Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
The real Torah view about women?!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

5mom

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 12:34 pm
Kosman's ideas are interesting, but all she does is kick the can a bit further down the road. It's not her fault, of course. She's trying to reconcile the irreconcilable.

heidi

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
Women get the short end of the stick, period. These are things that men would never be able to live through......

Menstrual cycles, Pregnancy, child labor.
Breastfeeding, having a life depend on you for sustenance.
Yet we go out to work and share the Ol of Parnassah.

Then the expectations of women to cook, clean, manage the house, raise the children, satisfy her husband's s-xual needs,(ye Onah and all, we are still expected to satisfy our men s-xually)feed, clothe and run everyone's life as smoothly as possible.

The fact that men can have children well into their 70's (let's not debate here if it's healthy or not) and age slower, while women have a much smaller shelf life and age quickly. The fact that a man at 50 can marry a woman at 30 while it doesn't go the other way around. So we are sort of second class to younger women once we reach a certain age. Sometimes I'm so angry about this.

And nowadays, all of this is expected of us, and we work!!!!. But it doesn't go the other way around. Yes of course many men help around the house and with childcare, but in general, it's still the woman's domain and expected of her.

I come from a home that was very respectful of women. But that doesn't help me not feel resentful. My husband tries to show me Chazal and sources how women are respected in Torah but it doesn't negate the rest.

I feel like in all ways, physically, emotionally, halachically, we got the short end of the stick.

Sorry, but I don't see what you wrote has to do with the Torah view of women. All women, Jewish or not, Orthodox or not, are in this situation. Some husbands help more, some less. I haven't heard of a husband that doesn't do his share bcz. the Torah tells him not to.
So how is this relevant to the OP's discussion?

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 8:18 pm
I appreciate Miriam Kosman's view of masculine and feminine, and how each person has a balance of those traits.

I'm wondering how she would reconcile the gender fluidity that we see in people with the sweeping negative statements about women from chazal?

And if such fluidity exists, why is she against finding halachic ways to accommodate it in religious life?
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions