Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Short English Bentching

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:29 am
We have a visiting relative who is somewhat frum but never managed to learn to read Hebrew and can't be bothered to bentch. I usually just leave her alone, but my Husband prefers to be motzei her when he bentches before she leaves. He said maybe there is something short she can say in English that would actually halachically count as bentching. Maybe each paragraph can be summarized in 1 sentence, so we'd have 4-5 sentences that would fulfill the Torah obligation? Any ideas? It would help take off some of the pressure of her visits... Thank you!

Sadie

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:33 am
I have a Sephardi siddur with a one page women's birkat hamazon that is also translated into English. She can say the regular birkat hamazon in English too and it still counts.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:35 am
Wow this seems a little ridiculous to me. I would suggest you tell your DH to ask a Rav, who will prob tell you to.leave her alone. Would you go bother her about Asher Yatzar when she uses your bathroom? The world would be a much better place if people stopped trying to control each other.

Or you could always try

Rubber dubber dub
Thanks for the grub
Yay God

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:36 am
Sadie wrote:
I have a Sephardi siddur with a one page women's birkat hamazon that is also translated into English. She can say the regular birkat hamazon in English too and it still counts.

This is a fantastic idea IF SHE WANTS TO. Otherwise - no.

Sadie

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
This is a fantastic idea IF SHE WANTS TO. Otherwise - no.

It seems from the OP that the issue is the length and frustration with the Hebrew.

Of course one should not religiously coerce guests.

OP, here are the pages if you are interested:

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:14 am
I believe that NCSY and/or Artscroll makes a transliterated bentcher made for such people who can't read Hebrew. Bentching is a d'oraisa, most other brachos are d'rabanan.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions