Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Baseball game

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:00 pm
Is 4.5 too young to go to a matinee major league baseball game? I come from a big sports' city and I went to baseball games as long as I can remember, but I live where tickets are more expensive and don't want to waste money. My 6 and almost 5 year-old have been learning baseball and my home-town team is coming to our city the week after their baseball league finishes. I thought it might be a nice treat, what do you think?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:34 pm
I went to my first Yankee game when I was 3 weeks old and have been taking my kids since infancy as well. Don't spend on good seats, get bleacher seats. It's not just the game, it's the ballpark experience so even in not such good seats it will be fun.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 8:56 pm
I guess my concern is that if we get the cheap seats--not considering more expensive tickets--will my boys appreciate it considering they've never seen a real baseball game. I mean, I want to go, but I cant just go myself.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:06 pm
I think they will, because again, there's a whole experience involved. Cheering when your team scores or when a favorite player comes up to bat; the 7th inning stretch; even just eating a hot dog at the game (quite a number of stadiums arounds the country have kosher hot dog stands). There's a lot of fun stuff that goes along with attending the game rather than watching it on tv even though everyone except those with the best seats would have a better view on the tv.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
I guess my concern is that if we get the cheap seats--not considering more expensive tickets--will my boys appreciate it considering they've never seen a real baseball game. I mean, I want to go, but I cant just go myself.

Of course you can go by yourself, or with a friend!

That said, especially since the boys are already playing, they'll love it. But they might not love it for 9 full innings. Be prepared to leave early. And be prepared to buy every kosher snack known to child.

I know you want to see your team, and I don't blame you. But if there's a minor league team near your city, you should consider taking your boys there as well. Minor league baseball is great for little kids. The seats are cheaper and closer and its all more immediate.

gold21

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 9:34 pm
I also love baseball games Tongue Out

I probably wouldn't take a kid under age 6/7 to a major league game, and even then I'm not so sure about it. Minor league games are more kid friendly. I feel like major league games are geared for age 8/9 and up. Whatever you decide to do, have fun!!

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 2:44 am
My grandma took me. She had tickets since she was singing the national anthem. I fell asleep.
Keep in mind that games go late for a little kid and they have trouble following what's going on on the field. It's also a long time for them to sit.
My suggestion is to go with a friend. Take your kids to minor league games and little league to get them used to it. Next year when your home team comes you will all enjoy it.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:30 am
Iymnok wrote:
My grandma took me. She had tickets since she was singing the national anthem. I fell asleep.
Keep in mind that games go late for a little kid and they have trouble following what's going on on the field. It's also a long time for them to sit.
My suggestion is to go with a friend. Take your kids to minor league games and little league to get them used to it. Next year when your home team comes you will all enjoy it.

I don't have any friends who are into sports, this is a matinee smack in the middle of the day. The major league is quite close to us, I don't think there are minor league teams for miles.

I guess we're going to see if we can get cheaper tickets closer to the game. Thanks for your input!

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:40 am
I learned how to fill out a box score when I was 7. Ever since then, I was able to sit through a whole game. I always used to do the box score. If you think they can last more than 5 innings, it's worth going.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:41 am
Btw, if you're looking for friends who are sports fans: Wave
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics