Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
On Scd for colitis. Please help!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 7:15 pm
Do I need to use a medical nutritionist while on the specific carb diet for colitis or can I go about it alone? And what do you use for probiotics?
Please let me know ASAP... This is so hard!
Thanks!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:08 pm
Mrs. Weiss can help you. This is what she does. Although be careful the diet makes some pple worse. 845-356-4557.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:12 pm
Buy the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It will teach you everything. Purchase kosher SCD items from Wellebees and the SCD gemachs.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:37 pm
On one of the Crohn's boards there was a woman who set up SCD buddies. It is probably worth it to pay Mrs. Weiss for her help and access.
As far as probiotics, that's where the SCD yogurt comes in. I have a concern and that is that most of the CY yogurts have additives so I heard the best yogurt is Norman's plain Greek. But it doesn't list bacteria; I hope it has enough.
Another thing about probiotics: Mrs. Weiss now promotes fermented foods. There seems to be something to it, I'm not knocking it. I do want to say that if you want to go on meds, don't let her talk you out of them. There are new meds in the pipeline that seem to work for colitis, b"H. It is possible that you might want to steer clear of certain meds, or combinations of meds (like Imuran AND a biologic). Just make informed decisions.

Good luck and refuah shleima!

P.S. About the diet making people worse. I don't know if it makes people worse but it could be they need to be on meds too. Also, the diet doesn't have as a high a success rate for colitis as it does for Crohn's.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:48 pm
As far as I know only the Mehadrin and J&J plain yogurts have the correct strain needed for SCD. You can't actually eat those yogurts, but you can use them as starters to make your own yogurt as per the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle.

anonymrs

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
As far as I know only the Mehadrin and J&J plain yogurts have the correct strain needed for SCD. You can't actually eat those yogurts, but you can use them as starters to make your own yogurt as per the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle.

Don't those have pectin?

anonymrs

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:59 pm
Regarding people not doing well on the diet, sometimes people are eating things that are too advanced or just plain don't agree with them. Some people can never tolerate nuts on SCD. Some people don't tolerate foods that are fermented because of the high histamine levels in fermented foods.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:02 pm
I know a few pple who were on it & got sicker. So although it may work for some. Be careful what you are doing. Don't just follow blindly.

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 3:31 am
I have Colitis, doing actually well on Imuran/imurek for the passed 12 years,
does anyone have experience with it through pregnancy? by my 3 kids I always stopped, first 2 went fine, last pregnancy a year ago, had strong flare up, so now I am reconsidering
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise