Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to a house with no other jews in the area
Previous  1  2

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 2:02 pm
We did that years ago. The neighborhood never took off. It was fine when it was just DH and me, but once we had kids it got harder and we ultimately had to move for everyone's happiness.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 2:23 pm
Really depends on how far they'll be by foot (shabbes).
But just because your child has non Jewish friends, doesn't mean they'll do things against halacha consciously or at all.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 3:30 pm
[quote="amother"]Is this tallymawr by any chance?[/gquote]

No

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
Would you take a chance and move to a house that Is not near any other frum Jews now but hopefully Jews Will follow? We have an option to buy such a house. The closest shul is a 35 minute walk. It's a great price and a big house. Wwyd?

Hey my kids are in the same boat considering moving to Toms River beacuse of the affordable housing there . you can get more for your buck. Yes its importand to find a house that it is close to some jewish neighbors you should do your research first when you see a house to see how many jewish neighors are there and how far do they live , Maybe thers a possibility to organize a shabbos minyan in someones house , From what I see Toms River is slowly filling up with jews and as far as your kids it is near Lakewood so the kids can go to school there ,Most families that want to move into the toms river nieghborhood really want thier privacy and are not looking for a street full of kids running round, Just look at all the pros that you get with moving into a beautiful big home .

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 5:55 pm
My relative did this and it didn't take off. She was miserable for years and her kids were so bored until she finally sold and moved to the nearest frum community.

On the other hand, my friend did it and was really successful - the community took off and her house is worth 3x what she paid for it.

I think the difference is that my friend did it with 2 other families, so they weren't the only ones. Within a few months they had a minyan in someone's house and a year later they opened a shul.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 7:59 pm
In the greater Lakewood area, beware of investors. If too many investors purchase in an area they think will go frum, they drive up the price and fill the homes with whoever they like. They then have no motivation to sell. See any other area of Lakewood that has not turned Jewish yet

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 8:12 pm
Depends what is important to you.
We looked at some neighborhoods and I realized it is important to me for my kids to have friends. They get so much from their friends in the neighborhood every day - who are such quality kids - it gets them out of the house and moving in such a positive way.
I want my kids to daven in a shul with a rav, and even if there is none to have the idea of being able to go to one on shabbos if you have a question.
We now daven in a shul that is in a house, but it is a real shul, I like that my kids are able to go for all or parts of davening depending on their stages and come home when they want.
I also want a friday night mikva (although that wouldn't make or break a move)
I also NEED busing as DH and I work full time.
All of this made it hard for us to move farther out.

As a PP said - beware of investors - we looked at a gorgeous block and later found out many homes were bought by an investor. We had a 3rd party find out about it and he plans on renting them out, and perhaps eventually building 2 homes on each property (in Jackson you can't build much because of zoning laws but also because every home needs a well and sewer in many areas. (As an example: http://www.app.com/story/news/.....1688/)
This happened years ago in rain tree.

[I must be doing something wrong, I also can't figure out how 600,000 homes + 10,000 property taxes are cheap - and we both work and make good livings - even if the home goes up in value - don't you need minimum 3500 a month just to make payments besides tuition and everything else?]
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating