Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Alternate use for amother

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 5:57 pm
Sometimes I see an anonymous particularly enlightening post, and I think 'Wow, there's some good advice there! Like!' Or the opposite.
But when a post is not anonymous, I find myself examining the information based on what I have already learned about this poster and her style. Is she usually insightful? on the mark? then ye, this could be sound advice! Is she usually argumentative, not the greatest advice gleaned from most of her posts, or, dare I say, not too respected on the forum, I examine it through a different lens. Same goes if someone is an old-timer, or a newbie.
Which sometimes makes me want to post anon Smile

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 6:53 pm
I'm a frequent poster with a following.
Sometimes I post anon for that very reason. I want the reader to judge the post on its own merits, not like it because it came from me. That's also why I usually don't look to see who wrote a post unless I have a strong reaction to it one way or another.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:

Question

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
Question

It translates to big ego.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:34 pm
While it's true that is sometimes open a post because I see an interesting poster has posted last and I want to see what she wrote, I've never found a poster that I've disagreed with on 100% of their posts- not even close. Just because they have different hashkafos or views on politics, doesn't mean that all advice they give is something I'd disagree with as well. I've seen many people post that they automatically give more credibility to screen-names than amothers.

When I see a well-written post by an amother, I usually feel upset that they aren't confident enough to post under their screen-name. And I see this often with more right-wing viewed posts, even if they are not remotely sensational or offensive.

The ones that are downright negative or nasty, I don't question why they went anon. This isn't to be confused with posters who have real questions or strong emotions about certain parts of Judaism.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes I post anon for that very reason. I want the reader to judge the post on its own merits, not like it because it came from me. That's also why I usually don't look to see who wrote a post unless I have a strong reaction to it one way or another.

how do you know you have a following? do you get PMs that tell you?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
how do you know you have a following? do you get PMs that tell you?

Yes.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes I see an anonymous particularly enlightening post..
But when a post is not anonymous

The reason I post anon is because;
A) I want to use ima as a beach chair. sort of.
I don't want to be held accountable for what I said, halacha hashkafo or opinion. I want to post my experinces and views without any pressure whatsoever. My posts are nice anyhow, its not like I'm teasing someone or what. Its just that;

B) I dont want to commit myself. I tend to get over involved in helping and explaning things to people. When I do it I do it with my whole heart but I know myself and I know that I'm not strong enough to not say; you can pm me... And then ima becomes overwhelming.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jul 05 2017, 10:16 pm
Double post

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 2:08 am
When I zoom in more, I don't even see the poster's names. So after I read a post that strikes me, I go back to see who wrote it. After I hit "like".
I am sometimes surprised that I actually agree with certain posters, even really respect their opinion and tone when I totally disagreed on most of their posts till now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics