Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O Hey Amother - anon enabled

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:00 pm
I suspect that many of the people you're targeting won't reply on a screen name only thread. I typed out a long reply, only to realize it wasn't anon-enabled. So I'm starting a new thread for those of to explain why we do what we do.

I'll start.

I have a dilemma. On the one hand. I love to give and get practical help that involves my location and identifying details possibly. On the other hand, I love to give and get Chizuk on personal topics. There's no way I could allow my two personas to be identified with each other. So that's a motivation to go anonymous.

Also, when I'm like what do I have to lose and share something under my screen name, often the poster will ask for follow-up that could be identifying. This literally happened within the past few days. A made up example: what's the number for the chair gemach in Monsey? So I answer under my screen name. Then OP says, the phone number you gave isn't working. And I want to reply, I just called yesterday and it worked. Whoops, just outed myself.

Wish there was a way to have like multiple usernames. Not to abuse, just to to feel safer.

NechaMom

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:08 pm
When you speak about chair gemachs in your community it’s appropriate to be anonymous. When you speak about thoughts and ideas it’s much more pleasant to communicate with people who use their SN. Especially if your thoughts are controversial. Stand behind your opinion!

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:13 pm
I agree. Twisted Evil

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:17 pm
I was a strong proponent of disabling the feature of looking up posts and that's because after a few years of being here and being very open- not about personal details at all but being helpful- I got a pm that put together a bunch of things I'd said over the years.
This is the internet people!!!

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:50 pm
NechaMom wrote:
When you speak about chair gemachs in your community it’s appropriate to be anonymous.

Why? Amother/anon I thought was when you were sharing something personally sensitive, or to protect someone else. Why would sharing the number of a gemach need to be anonymous?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:56 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
I was a strong proponent of disabling the feature of looking up posts and that's because after a few years of being here and being very open- not about personal details at all but being helpful- I got a pm that put together a bunch of things I'd said over the years.
Why does it matter if it's helpful info you gave?

NechaMom

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:58 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:
Why? Amother/anon I thought was when you were sharing something personally sensitive, or to protect someone else. Why would sharing the number of a gemach need to be anonymous?

I said in your community. If you don’t feel like sharing where you live.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:08 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Why does it matter if it's helpful info you gave?

My point is I'd post the femach number
Bc who cares right
Not posting my own sob stories

happy chick

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:23 pm
and what if someone figures out your who you are? thats what the amother feature is for, when you dont want someone to know who you are based on your username.

number

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:28 pm
If your post will disclose your location then using amother is fair game.

Also in the example you gave you could have responded as amother and pretended to be a different poster.

number

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
That feature gave me so much anxiety. I’m glad it’s gone.

But, the thread wasn’t referring to that but to people who try to act “edgy” under amother. People who use the anonymity to be “brave” and say some nasty things. That’s not what amother is for.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:45 pm
happy chick wrote:
and what if someone figures out your who you are? thats what the amother feature is for, when you dont want someone to know who you are based on your username.

Why does it bother you when people post anon with personal info and under an with other things vs the opposite?
What's the difference?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:53 pm
I almost always use amother, not as a weapon to be nasty, but because I inherently value privacy. Not just my own privacy, but my family's privacy. I often talking about raising difficult kids or other difficult family situations, and it's only right to respect people's privacy in such matters. There are a few people from my community that I have figured out their screen name, based off of multiple facts they've divulged.
In politics threads where's anon is not allowed, I'll post if I feel strongly enough.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:55 pm
I'll go.
I went from posting only under my sn to amother only.
It's funny but it seems as if my sn has a negative connotation here. I don't know why or what I did to deserve that. Perhaps I over shared and said some things that people don't like? Who knows. I don't bash or bully anyone, but proof is in the action.
I've tried it myself. Posted annon and got great feedback, engaged in conversation and all. As soon as I switch a post to my sn or try to post under my sn I'll have only hugs or snarky remarks.
I know people claim they don't look at sns only at the content but sadly I'm seeing that's not true.
I considered asking Yael to change my sn and start again but I'd rather not. So for now I'll continue posting annon and wait a while before I start using my sn again.

number

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Why does it bother you when people post anon with personal info and under an with other things vs the opposite?
What's the difference?

Official imamother policy is to use amother for personal stuff and your sn for everything else. So that’s the difference.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 7:14 pm
number wrote:
Official imamother policy is to use amother for personal stuff and your sn for everything else. So that’s the difference.

I believe she's saying the opposite. That if you posted personal things and you were figured out, you should use anon for things that wouldn't give you away but aren't things you want to publicize when linked to you

number

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 7:16 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
I believe she's saying the opposite. That if you posted personal things and you were figured out, you should use anon for things that wouldn't give you away but aren't things you want to publicize when linked to you
Oh. I don’t see how that would work. If that happened then I would create a new account and start over again.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 7:28 pm
number wrote:
Oh. I don’t see how that would work. If that happened then I would create a new account and start over again.

Maybe I misunderstood what she was saying then
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics