Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I need get used to put things where truly belong - & kids
Previous  1  2

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 13 2017, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
When you get used to putting things where they belong, you do it automatically and don't have to think about it at all.

This. I know where they should go, what's there to think about? Just do it. Do you have to **think about** what part of your body your socks should go on?

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Jul 15 2017, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
Hi op. I got a bit scared of this thread because hey, people are often misunderstood on here. I do get exactly what you are saying about being distracted, but I consider this one of my positive qualities if used the right way. I can connect very different things and come up with something new. What about you? I don't feel happy when my mind is cluttered with household tasks. However it is true that where there is a lot of order in the house I can do things more on automatic pilot, which makes me much happier. Are there some parts of your house keeping that are more organized?

From your last post, I bet someone will jump on and suggest we get assessed for ADHD. Maybe a couple of sessions with a home organizer would be better for both of us.

I wash laundry well. Not inspired with folding and putting away. I don't think anything else is something I do well. Crying

zaq

Post Sat, Jul 15 2017, 11:23 pm
Part of being a grownup is accepting that there are many things in life that are not fun, or inspiring, or intellectually stimulating or otherwise pleasant, and yet we have to do them anyway. As Nike says, "Just do it."

sneakermom

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 9:27 am
Oy.

The op never said, "I can't, I won't clean."

She asked for help. She has a disorganized, distracted brain that is drawn to complicated thought, instead of organizational, practical action.

Zaq, it is clear that you have no experience with this. You can't even begin to imagine what it feels like. You are offering judgement from within your very organized and smooth running brain. Not putting yourself in someone else's shoes at all.

But you are right. "Just do it" does help to some degree. And that's what a lot of fly ladies tips focuses on.

A few of my own tricks I do:
1. Get rid of all junk. Clear the place.
2. Every little bit counts. It's not all or nothing.
3. Use Shabbos as a guide. Wednesday, Thursday clean for shabbos. Sunday, Monday clean from shabbos.
4. Do a load of laundry daily.
5. Do a half hour a day of running around the house, putting things in place. Kids can do this with you:)
6. A stopwatch. Race against the clock. It increases focus and gets the job done.
7. Schedule it into your day. First clean up from supper. Then bedtime.

And make your own tricks. They really help get the job done. Despite a messy, sometimes sluggish brain.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 9:44 am
OP I totally get you I am the same way I find that I do get distracted from thoughts. but my main problem is going one step more than I have to put things away in the place or maybe because I really want to finish fast what im cleaning that I do not want to go that extra step to put it in the right place. I know it's wrong way of thinking but somehow I keep on doing it and my DH really gets nervous from it and it's so hard to stop it. Every single time I say now I will put it back in the right place I don't know why I'm just so lazy to go that extra step and it kills me Surprised

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 9:58 am
The only way an un organized person can be organized is to over compensate.
Meaning become extreme.
It's only seems extreme in ones own mind because we are not organized people.
After a very short time it starts becoming second nature.
Now when I lose something, I have to think where is its home.
9.9 out of 10 times its back in its home.
I don't remember putting it back in its place, but there it is.
It just becomes second nature to put it back, while its still in your hand.
Say out loud where things belong, "the scissors goes in the caddy in the cabinet.", then put it there.
Make it into a game for yourself.
Write lists if you have to.

Also, ask Hashem to help you be more organized.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 9:19 pm
sneakermom wrote:
Oy.

The op never said, "I can't, I won't clean."

She asked for help. She has a disorganized, distracted brain that is drawn to complicated thought, instead of organizational, practical action.

Zaq, it is clear that you have no experience with this. You can't even begin to imagine what it feels like. You are offering judgement from within your very organized and smooth running brain. Not putting yourself in someone else's shoes at all.

But you are right. "Just do it" does help to some degree. And that's what a lot of fly ladies tips focuses on.

A few of my own tricks I do:
1. Get rid of all junk. Clear the place.
2. Every little bit counts. It's not all or nothing.
3. Use Shabbos as a guide. Wednesday, Thursday clean for shabbos. Sunday, Monday clean from shabbos.
4. Do a load of laundry daily.
5. Do a half hour a day of running around the house, putting things in place. Kids can do this with you:)
6. A stopwatch. Race against the clock. It increases focus and gets the job done.
7. Schedule it into your day. First clean up from supper. Then bedtime.

And make your own tricks. They really help get the job done. Despite a messy, sometimes sluggish brain.

I was responding to forest green who seemed to cherish the freedom to let her mind wander and resented or at least resisted the idea of mental self-discipline.

FTR I was not born neat. I had the usual childhood clashes with my folks, who were quasi-minimalists with very high standards of housekeeping. I'm a total slob in comparison. Like most people, I had to learn to put things away where they belong and not leave them on the nearest convenient surface. I have soliloquies going in inside my head,too. I walk into a room, wonder why I'm there and have to go back where I came from to recall what I intended to do. So? So I go back. I put down a shmatta or my keys and forget where I put it because I was thinking about something else. But the point is that when I next see the shmatta on the couch or the sweater on the kitchen table , I don't leave it there. I put it away where it belongs.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 9:35 pm
Sneakermon thank you for what you wrote. You were validating and therefore inspired me.

Zaq you reminded me of ...... people in the past who have criticized me for having my head in the clouds. Made me feel bad & sad, worthless and useless. Not an "adult". Not inspired to do anything except crawl into bed and eat chocolate.

Sneakermom thank you thank you thank you!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 10:48 pm
If I'd do house work properly I'd lose a bit amd look / be healthier too

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:00 pm
And you know what? In my area 99.999 of houses are imaculate beautiful organized with good taste! And my poor kids tell me a noght before: mommy I'd loke to bring friends. Can you please clean this part and I'll clean the other part? Then I feel embarrassed but I do The effort.
Please only kind words here.... embarrassed I need to pretend myself I will have guest daily....

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 11:26 pm
The ones who don't get it never will. Sneakermom explained it well. Also, I came to accept myself as I am. I'm not organized and never will be and that's ok. My talents lie elsewhere. Those who are so bothered by it are welcome to not visit my home. It's not a moral failing to be messy despite what nosy relatives and neighbors want you to think.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry