Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Need suggestions for long story to tell kids aged 8-12

groisamomma

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:13 pm
Needs to be long enough to stretch out for at least 2 hrs...not Holocaust-related because we just did "A Son for A Son."

Please suggest something. I will go buy it.

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:40 pm
The Lost Children of Tarshish was pretty good -- a two-book series. Frum boys get lost on an island, try to follow halacha as best as they can. I just googled it and it seems to only be available on AbeBooks which I have never heard of since it's out of print. Might be at your local Jewish library if you have one.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 3:43 pm
I used to tell the story of the adopted princess to a youth group every tisha b'av. I was able to stretch it out over a couple of hours very easily.
I used "the five novelettes" as a reference.

esuss

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 4:33 pm
How about the Marcus Lehmann books. Kids find it harder to read - old style of writing but good story lines. Family y Aguilar or others.
My 10 year old's English teacher read them the Avner Gold books to his class this year. You could choose any of those. Or book by Meir baram. Both of them are historical fiction in different parts of Jewish history. Both very well written.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 5:22 pm
I really enjoyed Walled Secrets: http://www.menuchapublishers.c......html
Well-written and with tochein.

trixx

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 5:38 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
The Lost Children of Tarshish was pretty good -- a two-book series. Frum boys get lost on an island, try to follow halacha as best as they can. I just googled it and it seems to only be available on AbeBooks which I have never heard of since it's out of print. Might be at your local Jewish library if you have one.

Abe books is used books

As everyone else suggested, anything by Marcus Lehman especially the adopted princess (is this by nissen mindel?) or bustenai, or by avner gold who has a similar style
Sambatyon, a novel about the mystical River across which live the 10 tribes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children