Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much to spend on food for large family?
1  2  Next

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:46 pm
How much is normal to spend on food and household items per month for a family of 8?
I'm trying to cut down my budget. We spend 2500-3000 per month which feels insane but I can't see how to trim it down. We usually shop frugally, comparing prices, looking for sales.
Is this just normal?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:51 pm
We usually spend about 900 for a family of 7. That counts regular weekly shopping plus costco every few months. But, maybe I am super frugal. We get a little WIC but not so much.

Do you have expensive stuff a lot?
What are you buying?

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:53 pm
There is no normal, if you can't find a way to trim it down then it sounds like there is not much you can do, unless you want to change the way you cook or buy groceries

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:59 pm
Family of 8 here. We spend 2000$ on groceries. About 300$ meat & chicken. Another 500$ on diapers, detergents and toiletries. We look for sales but don't obsess over it.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:00 pm
2500-3000 per month means you go to the grocery store each week and spend 600-700 dollars in one shot? I am sorry but I can't imagine - what do you buy? Really fancy food? Prepared foods? I can't help you without knowing how it adds up so much.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:03 pm
Regarding the non-food items.. What do you do throw out? Can you replace disposable items with reusable items?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:12 pm
I spend less than $1000 which includes household necessities. I don't have anyone in diapers anymore. We're usually anywhere between 5-7 at home, teenagers and young adults though.

I am a frugal shopper, no ready foods and meat for yom tov only, chicken and fish only shabbos,

We eat very very simply because I can't afford more.
we eat way too many cheap carbs, which I don't like but don't have many options.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:21 pm
We don't use disposables at all. I never buy ready made foods. I make my own bread about half the time. We have chicken and meat once a week. I make my own challah and cake.

Weekly grocery shopping is about 150.
The rest is cotsco or walmart or amazon. Once a month we get a dairy order of $250.
Like I said before I don't know how it adds up.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:01 pm
What are the nonfood items?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
We don't use disposables at all. I never buy ready made foods. I make my own bread about half the time. We have chicken and meat once a week. I make my own challah and cake.

Weekly grocery shopping is about 150.
The rest is cotsco or walmart or amazon. Once a month we get a dairy order of $250.
Like I said before I don't know how it adds up.

So look through your Costco Walmart and Amazon bills and see what you are spending on.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:22 pm
Things like paper towels and tissues shampoo toothpaste laundry detergent cleaning supplies, occasionally socks and underwear or random small clothing purchases are included as well. I don't divide a walmart receipt so whatever I buy from walmart is counted even if its a new sweatshirt for a kid or whatever.
I suppose the actual amount for just food is probably closer to 1500.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:32 pm
It sounds like a large portion is non food, household items. Can you save money by purchasing cheaper brands?

yidish

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:39 pm
I have a family of 8 and spend about $3000 a month. That includes paper goods and detergents. I buy everthing in the local supermaket as I don't have time to go to costco, walmart, bingo etc.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
Things like paper towels and tissues shampoo toothpaste laundry detergent cleaning supplies, occasionally socks and underwear or random small clothing purchases are included as well. I don't divide a walmart receipt so whatever I buy from walmart is counted even if its a new sweatshirt for a kid or whatever.

This is much more reasonable. It sound like you may not be too far off from what I spend. I realized my info above didn't include target/walmart bills, just grocery and costco.

Hard to say how to cut down...

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:

If you are looking to save:
Papertowels are disposables that can be replaced with 'schmatas'.

Cleaning products especially 'wipes' can be replaced with towel and water/vinager combo.

Obviously impulse purchases (if applicable) add up.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 4:07 pm
family of 8 here.
I spend between $1300 and $1700 approx each month on groceries including meat, fish etc and disposables. This figure doesnt include toilet paper, paper towels, tissues and shampoo/soap etc

I cant imagine being able to spend more apart from yomtov time. Like, what else is there to buy that I dont already buy... is it possible that the stores you shop in are very expensive, OP?
we are makpid on cholov yisrael too, so we dont even save money in that area.

and btw, I have three big strapping teenage boys with huge appetities.

So my answer to op is,yes I m sure you can spend less with a bit of careful budgeting. good luck

anon because I dont want people in real life to realize its me - I have discussed these figures a lot irl recently, and also identifying info about my kids and ages.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 5:43 pm
Where do you live? Living in Brooklyn, I find it easy to feed my family frugally. We're a family of 7 and spend $600-700/month on food, and $200-250 on household supplies.

ETA: 3 kids get school lunches, if that makes a difference for you.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 8:55 pm
2x a week make cheaper meals.
Pasta with eggs, rice and beans (from dried)
Oatmeal (bulk) can be used to thicken soups and turn them into more filling meals.
Leftovers can be turned into soup, omelettes, and other side dishes.
Also cut down on disposable trays, plates, etc.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:06 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Where do you live? Living in Brooklyn, I find it easy to feed my family frugally. We're a family of 7 and spend $600-700/month on food, and $200-250 on household supplies.

ETA: 3 kids get school lunches, if that makes a difference for you.

That is extremely cheap, I'm amazed. Are there special discounts or benefits added in there?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 9:08 pm
we spend about $1200 on groceries (including regular grocery stores and costco).
we are a family of 6, one in diapers. I don't buy meat or any fancy foods. I buy mostly basics but don't go searching for sales to save a few dollars.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics