Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Apartment in basement with boiler next to bedrooms

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:32 pm
would you sleep in a basement apartment if your bedroom was right next to the boiler?

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:40 pm
What's your concern?

rdmom

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:56 pm
I do. That's the way my layout Of the house is.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 8:59 pm
With a good co detector, sure.

May

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:08 pm
My kids do, with a very very good CO1 detector. (not the $20 type from Home Depot, the $200 type that detects super low levels.) We also have the system checked every year before turning on the heat for the winter - a bird can build a nest in your chimeny over the summer, etc, making it very dangerous.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:15 pm
May wrote:
My kids do, with a very very good CO1 detector. (not the $20 type from Home Depot, the $200 type that detects super low levels.) We also have the system checked every year before turning on the heat for the winter - a bird can build a nest in your chimeny over the summer, etc, making it very dangerous.

Can you please share the brand that you use?

My kids bedroom is next to the boiler room as well. We have co/smoke detectors on the ceiling but it doesn't give you a reading. It went off once but because there are no numbers we had no idea if it was a fluke or low number or dangerous levels. It ended up being a faulty piece but it's nerve-wracking. We bought a plug in that has a number display so if it ever goes off again we can tell what level it's at.

But if there's a really good one out there I'd like to know.

May

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:42 pm
The one I have is from CO Experts http://coexperts.com

I see their website is down right now but they do provide an email address. We got ours through a middle man (our furnace guy).

It's a really low level detector. It detects from 1 and alarms at 10. 10 is super low, not at all dangerous. I've had it go off at 10 when using my oven and the first time it happened I freaked out and evacuated everyone (for hours on a Friday afternoon, lol). But it's so reassuring that it will go off at the smallest trace of CO1.

And this btw is not just for pple who sleep near boilers. It takes mere minutes for the CO2 to travel upstairs.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
would you sleep in a basement apartment if your bedroom was right next to the boiler?

Are you talking about a boiler that heats water and pumps it to radiators in a home? If that is the case no. If it is a gas forced air furnace with a closed combustion chamber yes, with an excellent CO2 detector.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Aug 09 2017, 9:55 pm
Thanks May

happy12

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:37 am
Magenta- why not with a boiler for a hot water system?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 1:34 pm
Bump, Wondering about the answer from Magenta

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 1:41 pm
happy12 wrote:
Magenta- why not with a boiler for a hot water system?

Noise, and if the boiler isn't new or up to date there is a higher possibility of failure. Safety functions introduced to steam boilers are rather recent.(No automatic fuel shut off for one.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics