Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Advise re collection debts
Previous  1  2

creditcards

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 5:17 pm
I have a very good feeling you can ignore it. That's my experience from the past...I took the risk, more than one time just to see what will happen and nothing did. And I use credit cards a lot. And I need a good score.
If you are afraid, just pay it. But you are being ripped off. I just hate it when people get ripped off.
Call (877) 363-1079 - Legal Rights Advocates‎
Adwww.yourlegalrightsadvocates.com/‎
You can call them, They give free legal advice regarding debt collectors. found it on Google.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 5:25 pm
Iymnok wrote:
A missed or late payment can affect the report. What you see on the free yearly reports is not the actual score that the lending agency looks at. They will look at the actual FAFSA report. Your rates change according to your history and score.
I recommend going to Credit Check Total and signing up for, I think one week free. Get your full report and save it. It will say if that payment is in your history and if there is anything else affecting your score.

A missed payment from a credit card always effects your credit. Definitely. An ignored collections letter that's not legit. Not necessarily.

creditcards

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for your advise. My question is that with paying $50 would it effect my credit score because if I pay it means that I owed it and was negligent or it doesn't work that way?

No doesn't work that way. They can't report backwards. If you pay it, it won't effect your credit badly (but it will affect my heart)

creditcards

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 7:55 pm
Hi,
I just spoke to someone about your issue.
Scratch my previous advice.
First check your credit report if you see anything on there. If you see it on your report don't pay anything because then you are agreeing that the bill is legitimate. You will have to pay for someone to fight it. The person might charge a few hundred dollars.
If you don't see it on your report. And you only received a warning that they will put it on, better pay it. Will cost more money to fight it if it does go on and it's not worth it for you to take the risk.
I'm really upset this happened. It's really not fair.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:08 pm
I've been using Credit Karma for years . They offer free and ongoing access to my credit reports, alerts, account monitoring and filing of credit report disputes. I've used them to dispute a couple of reported items and they were all settled (in my favor) in 30 days or less. (creditkarma.com)

creditcards

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:16 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I've been using Credit Karma for years . They offer free and ongoing access to my credit reports, alerts, account monitoring and filing of credit report disputes. I've used them to dispute a couple of reported items and they were all settled (in my favor) in 30 days or less. (creditkarma.com)

Yes. That's what I was gonna do if it went on my report. That's why I took the risk...and it wasn't reported in the end in my case. But not everyone likes to to these things by themselves...I agree it is a good option.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:30 pm
Once it's already at collections it already is on your credit report. You can't undo that unless the company took responsibility.
However, if the rest of your credit is good, then I doubt a $50 collections would make a huge difference in credit score.

RebekahsMom

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:31 pm
You can also check freecreditreport.com - it’s run by experian and allows a credit report every year.

I would contact the agency and tell them what you said here- you contacted Verizon. They have no record of a debt. You want proof of the debt and are disputing it in the meantime. More importantly, get their address and send a letter (certified if necessary) stating the same.

Make copies of everything you send for future proof.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:51 pm
creditcards wrote:
Hi,
I just spoke to someone about your issue.
Scratch my previous advice.
First check your credit report if you see anything on there. If you see it on your report don't pay anything because then you are agreeing that the bill is legitimate. You will have to pay for someone to fight it. The person might charge a few hundred dollars.
If you don't see it on your report. And you only received a warning that they will put it on, better pay it. Will cost more money to fight it if it does go on and it's not worth it for you to take the risk.
I'm really upset this happened. It's really not fair.

Thank you so much for asking around. I greatly appreciate it

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:53 pm
Thank you everyone's for info they were all very helpful and helped me clarify what I need to do. Thanks again

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much for asking around. I greatly appreciate it

if you aren't planning on fighting it - and you see it on your credit report - you should pay it. It won't make matters worse.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:12 pm
I checked my credit score and it was not on the report. I do see I have 4 hard inquires for car rentals. Any idea what it means?

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 10:17 pm
Have you or your DH recently rented any cars or made any rental reservations? If not, I would be highly worried about identity theft and look into freezing your account and getting a monthly service to monitor your accounts for new activity (I believe Equifax offers it free after their recent hack). I would also contact the agency and get those removed. Even if you did rent a car, it seems strange that they should make a hard inquiry on your credit report.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics