Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you send 'special' shalach manos to your kids teachers?
Previous  1  2

DVOM

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:13 pm
das wrote:
Please dont sent homemade things to teachers. They go right into the garbage. Even a bar of chocolate would be more appreciated.

Really? And I love getting homemade stuff. So yummy! Huh. Why would they get thrown out? My chocolate cake is pretty awesome!

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:20 pm
depending where you live if the teachers will "trust the kashrus" of the families. Then you also have people who have a thing with "cleanliness" or whatever. Like I remember someone saying she doesn't want to eat something from someone with a pet, it grossed her out. Growing up we never sent anything homemade. Everything had the hechsher on it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:35 pm
DVOM wrote:
Really? And I love getting homemade stuff. So yummy! Huh. Why would they get thrown out? My chocolate cake is pretty awesome!

When I was a kid, I had a classmate who'd give me a mini chocolate cake with a candy of some sort attached every single year. And every single year my mother made me throw it out. I was devastated... until I was old enough to realize that the house was unhygienic, flying, and the whole family was just kind of "off." My mother's a clean freak, but once I reached a certain age I was grossed out by that house too.

Anyway, with rebbeim and teachers, they may eat only yoshon or heimish hechsherim or something and won't eat homemade food from people they don't know well.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:51 pm
amother wrote:
When I was a kid, I had a classmate who'd give me a mini chocolate cake with a candy of some sort attached every single year. And every single year my mother made me throw it out. I was devastated... until I was old enough to realize that the house was unhygienic, flying, and the whole family was just kind of "off." My mother's a clean freak, but once I reached a certain age I was grossed out by that house too.

Anyway, with rebbeim and teachers, they may eat only yoshon or heimish hechsherim or something and won't eat homemade food from people they don't know well.

If a 350 degree oven can kill salmonella, I'm pretty sure it can kill whatever germs you thought her house was crawling with.

mrs me

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:00 pm
I'm a preschool teacher- I think your child would be absolutely the proudest little guy/girl, handing their home-made mm to their morah!! And I do feel an extra "something nice" (bottle o' something) would be appropriate to go with it...

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
If a 350 degree oven can kill salmonella, I'm pretty sure it can kill whatever germs you thought her house was crawling with.

Not when the whole family, including runny-nosed filthy-handed little brothers and sisters, "helped" with the frosting and decorations.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:53 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I give teachers my standard Shalach Manos, along with a giftcard to a local Judaica store or to the giftcard registry. I figure with 25+ students in their classroom, they likely don't need more food from me.

As a teacher for many years I can't agree with u more:)

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:54 pm
das wrote:
Please dont sent homemade things to teachers. They go right into the garbage. Even a bar of chocolate would be more appreciated.

Totally true! Speaking from my experience and from speaking to my colleagues:)

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:56 pm
A teacher has to work hard. Therefore they deserve something chashuv. You can give you thing plus a gift. People spend $25-50

Frenchfry

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 10:43 pm
das wrote:

Rebbe and teacher family here.

I love getting home made stuff. There's no one in my class or dh's class that I wouldn't eat from.

unexpected

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 11:44 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
The past few years we just have my boys give their rebbes an envelope with a personal thank you poem and a tip. I would rather give a larger tip and no mishloach manos than spend a lot on the presentation and give less money. I'm probably the only one that does this but it became the norm for us. The kids still get to visit their rebbes on Purim which is usually their highlight of the day.

We do this-- but we don't even go to the Rebbes. We send it in the day before.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 7:10 am
I never tip or gift or send a MM.
We are asked to send the child with one MM to trade with a kid.

observer

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 8:34 am
Teachers and rebbeim for sure get a much nicer mishloach manos than standard neighbors etc.... After all, they teach our children!!

So it's either a more elaborate and expensive mishloach manos, or includes a gift or gift card.

Zehava

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 9:21 am
For rebbeim I send a bottle of wine in a nice wine bag with some sort of bought chocolate pretzels and ofcourse a nice tip.
For teachers I send a box of chocolates or bought decorated cookies and an envelope with cash.
It’s the envelope that matters not the food.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 9:33 am
unexpected wrote:
We do this-- but we don't even go to the Rebbes. We send it in the day before.

My boys love showing their rebbes their costumes , and they dance with the Rebbe who is also dressed up, while my DH takes pictures. My boys love looking at those pictures from kindergarten through 8th grade. They are special moments.

L K

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 9:48 am
Chayalle and Debsey, could you please share what you send?

Thanks

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:02 am
DVOM wrote:
Good morning girls!

So, this year for shalach manos my boys are decorating white paper bags to put our goodies in. I found a pack of white sandwich bags at Walmart that were 50 for a dollar, and we've been spending many a relaxing evening painting, stickering, coloring, and gluing sequins on them. Each is unique, and so beautiful. We baked chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting and will add some candies or taffys or something. Inexpensive, yummy, and so so so fun!

A friend of mine was over yesterday during a bag-decorating session, and asked what I'm going to do about my boys’ rebbes and morahs. Apparently, people give much fancier stuff to their kids teachers. I've always given them the same thing our neighbors, friends and family get, but I've never been giving out somethings quite so... umm.... homemade. I suppose I could just wrap chocolate cakes with little bottles of chocolate liquor in cellophane bags for the teachers. This might be more appropriate. But the kids have been enjoying designating different ‘special’ bags for different people, and have already made bags for some of the rebbes and morahs. Can we at least use these for the preschool teachers, if not for the school aged kids’ rebbaim?

Thoughts, anyone?

Yes I do
I feel They deserve something extra special from parents.
Kids could give them what they themselves made but parents should give something individually in my opinion.
B/c I don’t give Chanukah gifts to the teachers/rebbes. If u do, that’s different
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics