Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cleaning Lady

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:40 am
Do you use a cleaning lady before Pesach? if yes how often?
I have big daughters at home who can help, do you think its right to spend money to take a cleaning lady?

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:45 am
What do big daughters have to do with it? Do you mean, hire a cleaning lady as opposed to asking the girls to help?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:48 am
watergirl wrote:
What do big daughters have to do with it? Do you mean, hire a cleaning lady as opposed to asking the girls to help?

Yes,thats right

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:50 am
Thanks for editing for clarity. I think it depends on the type of mess that you need help cleaning.

abound

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 5:25 am
I think it depends on your daughters. There is no answer that fits all.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 5:33 am
Yes spend money on cleaning help. Girls aren’t cleaning ladies. I always helped my mother Erev pesach and she also had cleaning help. Iike cleaning the bathroom the cleaning lady does much better than girls.

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 5:41 am
This is something each family decides what works for them. It depends on things like how you budget your money, how much help you need, and how much they can help without being resentful.

They should help because it's good for their development, but should not bear the full responsibility or replace cleaning help if you really need it.

Last edited by Simple1 on Mon, Mar 12 2018, 5:45 am; edited 2 times in total

polka dots

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 5:43 am
I say Depends on your financial situation and on your pesach situation. For some that are not up to doing it alone or work or hosting big famalys having cleaning help is a must.

For others it might be more of a luxery. If you are financially strained maybe it is a good idea to see if you can do it alone.

I find it interesting how you phrase your question. Is it right to spend on cleaning help? It is right for you to spend on whatever you please!

keym

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 5:49 am
I offer my kids incentives to clean. I tell them that I could spend $x on cleaning help or on chol hamoed trips and activities if they help. They always choose to help.
But I tell them its really up to them. But I dont have extra money flying around. If I spend $100 on cleaning, then chol hamoed trip are picnics in parks. But if I only spend $20 on cleaning, then we could spend $80 on a nice zoo or boating or a fun museum.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 6:26 am
Your big girls can organize the closets while your cleaning lady washes the stove, fridge, bathrooms, etc....as teens we worked hand in hand with our cleaning lady.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 6:33 am
keym wrote:
I offer my kids incentives to clean. I tell them that I could spend $x on cleaning help or on chol hamoed trips and activities if they help. They always choose to help.
But I tell them its really up to them. But I dont have extra money flying around. If I spend $100 on cleaning, then chol hamoed trip are picnics in parks. But if I only spend $20 on cleaning, then we could spend $80 on a nice zoo or boating or a fun museum.

I really like this!

I'm into making Pesach a family project, and my girls have always pitched in. We usually do alot of cleaning on Sundays, with evenings during the week being for smaller jobs, like kitchen cabinets. I try to do the worst jobs myself, but the girls help me. Yesterday we finished the living room and family room, and we also did three cars (mine, DH's, and my father's).

We always go for a treat after a full Sunday of work - like Ritas, slurpees, or icecream. I also try to make time for shopping, so that they get what they need for Y"T.

This year is the first time in 10 years that I have cleaning help, as I feel I'm getting a bit older and needing it. I have a cleaning lady once in three weeks for 4 hours, and it really makes a difference to me. My girls and I do the rest of the cleaning in between, and they know that that puts more $$ in our budget for their clothes, shoes, etc....

keym

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 6:54 am
Chayalle wrote:
I really like this!

I'm into making Pesach a family project, and my girls have always pitched in. We usually do alot of cleaning on Sundays, with evenings during the week being for smaller jobs, like kitchen cabinets. I try to do the worst jobs myself, but the girls help me. Yesterday we finished the living room and family room, and we also did three cars (mine, DH's, and my father's).

We always go for a treat after a full Sunday of work - like Ritas, slurpees, or icecream. I also try to make time for shopping, so that they get what they need for Y"T.

This year is the first time in 10 years that I have cleaning help, as I feel I'm getting a bit older and needing it. I have a cleaning lady once in three weeks for 4 hours, and it really makes a difference to me. My girls and I do the rest of the cleaning in between, and they know that that puts more $$ in our budget for their clothes, shoes, etc....

My kids are a bit younger than yours. They need to see the money rather than talk about it theoretically. I save an envelope of petty cash for Pesach. Usually $100-$200. Come motzei first days, we count the money and go through the circulars looking at activities. But theyll do it.
Last Pesach, my 11 yr old told me.
There is $135 in the envelope.
Bowling is $40.
Mini golf is $30.
And Blackbeard Cave is $63.
Can we buy $2 of snack bags for the trips.
Now that was a proud teaching budgeting moment.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:22 am
keym wrote:

It never happens by us to have extra money on chol hamoed,Pesach is such an expensive yom tov,especially with a big family and staying home, b"h for that I am not complaining, but usually chol hamoed we have to restock food etc. my DH is always trying to find from were he can borrow some money

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:27 am
amother wrote:
Yes spend money on cleaning help. Girls aren’t cleaning ladies. I always helped my mother Erev pesach and she also had cleaning help. Iike cleaning the bathroom the cleaning lady does much better than girls.

My mother always tells me they never had a cleaning lady 50 years ago,the kids did everything the whole house,so she cant understand why we need a cleaning lady with big daughters.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 8:42 am
keym wrote:
My kids are a bit younger than yours. They need to see the money rather than talk about it theoretically. I save an envelope of petty cash for Pesach. Usually $100-$200. Come motzei first days, we count the money and go through the circulars looking at activities. But theyll do it.
Last Pesach, my 11 yr old told me.
There is $135 in the envelope.
Bowling is $40.
Mini golf is $30.
And Blackbeard Cave is $63.
Can we buy $2 of snack bags for the trips.
Now that was a proud teaching budgeting moment.

I love it! Can I send my 10-year-old to your house for some training? She thinks money grows on trees....

keym

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 8:46 am
Chayalle wrote:
I love it! Can I send my 10-year-old to your house for some training? She thinks money grows on trees....

I seem to remember a kids book growing up with a money tree.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
My mother always tells me they never had a cleaning lady 50 years ago,the kids did everything the whole house,so she cant understand why we need a cleaning lady with big daughters.

the houses were smaller then. they didn't have as much "stuff" so it probably was easier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics