Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Cell phone for a 7 year old?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:21 pm
DC is a bat zikunim. Her nearest sibling is 10 years older. Siblings all have cell phones, parents have cell phones. We have a home phone we never use. We keep it for the 7 year old who is starting to call people and get calls. It will probably be cheaper to pay for another phone on our plan than pay for the home phone.

But getting a cell phone for a 7 year old?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:24 pm
How many phone calls does a 7 year old make already!? When she wants to make a call why can't she just use your cell phone or your husbands or one of her siblings phones?

momX4

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:32 pm
Do you have internet at home? Get an Google Voice phone. All you need to do is buy an OBI device https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:33 pm
look into magicjack

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:55 pm
I would absolutely not do that! I honestly wonder why parents think it’s safe for little children to have a personal phone. I think it’s important for parents to know who calls the house, who she’s speaking to, monitor her friends and stay in the loop. A cellphone is way too much freedom.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:59 pm
Noooo. Too young!!!

erm

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 10:05 pm
I think kids lose their social communication skills by having their own phone at a young age. There is a skill in calling a house and asking to speak to so and so. It gives them confidence and social and verbal communication skills. These are totally lost when texting and calling kids on their own phone. Besides for the fact I would never want strangers to have direct access to my children. I need to know who they call and who is calling them.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
I would absolutely not do that! I honestly wonder why parents think it’s safe for little children to have a personal phone. I think it’s important for parents to know who calls the house, who she’s speaking to, monitor her friends and stay in the loop. A cellphone is way too much freedom.

Knowing who calls dc and who dc calls is as easy as checking the phone regularly and/or checking it online.

I don't think I would let dc take it out of the house either. It would not be a smart phone, no internet. And they make ones with limited numbers they can call or that can call in.

As for how many calls a 7 year old makes? Dc has lots of siblings, most of whom are married with kids. So aside from friends, there are the siblings too to call.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 11:06 pm
erm wrote:
I think kids lose their social communication skills by having their own phone at a young age. There is a skill in calling a house and asking to speak to so and so. It gives them confidence and social and verbal communication skills. These are totally lost when texting and calling kids on their own phone. Besides for the fact I would never want strangers to have direct access to my children. I need to know who they call and who is calling them.

Dc would have to call friends houses and ask for them. So no social skills lost. And why would strangers have dc's number? We're not giving it out as dc's contact number.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 11:12 pm
I'm planning on getting a smartphone for my kids to share - ages 5 to 12. I will lock all apps except for phone and WhatsApp (they call their friends on video chat a lot, many live too far away to have playdates with). Otherwise I never have a phone.

If you know the risks and take precautions, I don't see a problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children