Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When to take care of myself?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:41 pm
I recently started working. Part time now, but increasing hours in the summer. I have no idea how mothers that work have time to take care of themselves. I currently have pain in my jaw (need emergency dentist appt to see what it is) my toddler is home with me all day, and my 4yr old has a contagious virus that I'm expecting to last 2-4 more days if I'm lucky. School ends Wednesday and then the whole brood is home. My husband has full time job. Are there babysitters who take sick kids? When do I go to the dentist?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
I recently started working. Part time now, but increasing hours in the summer. I have no idea how mothers that work have time to take care of themselves. I currently have pain in my jaw (need emergency dentist appt to see what it is) my toddler is home with me all day, and my 4yr old has a contagious virus that I'm expecting to last 2-4 more days if I'm lucky. School ends Wednesday and then the whole brood is home. My husband has full time job. Are there babysitters who take sick kids? When do I go to the dentist?

Hugs and good luck! It's a big adjustment I know. With time you will iyh learn the juggle.
If child is really sick we take personal days and lose out but we're there for our little ones. Once they're not contagious anymore we send them off with Tylenol and pray for the best.
We find dentists that have late hours once a week or Sunday hours. And in case of emergency we leave work for a few hours to take care of the rush appointment.
Refuah Shelaima to you and your little one!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:50 pm
Oy! That's the hardest part of being a working mom.
1. Mom not feeling well
2. Kid not feeling well
3. The weeks between school and camp and school vacation days

You got it all at one shot!
I used to pay a babysitter to take my kids between the school and camp days. But most won't take sick kids.
I usually made sure to have a flexible employer who understood if I needed to take off due to sick kids. I just didn't get paid for those days.
Sometimes, my DH had a more flexible job and he was either able to take the kid with him to his office if he wasn't contagious and was up to it. Or DH worked from home. I also had an option to work from home in some of my jobs and that also was a life saver.
Regarding yourself, I make most appointments if possible after work hours. But if the doctor closes before I just leave work early or come to work late depending on when I scheduled the appointment.
One of the most important things for a working mother of young children is that the boss /manager is flexible with you taking off if it's needed. I am very upfront at my job interviews about it. Nobody ever rejected me for a job even with this requirement. I make it clear that I'm a very devoted employee but I'm a mother first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics