Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Just out of curiosity
Previous  1  2

What group do you belong to?
Lubavitch  
 35%  [ 37 ]
Litvish/ yeshivish  
 27%  [ 29 ]
Chassidish - specify  
 23%  [ 25 ]
modern orthodox  
 9%  [ 10 ]
Breslov  
 0%  [ 0 ]
other  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 105

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 2:09 pm
Sorry to hyjack your post small bean but Breslov your baby is adorable!!!! Have much Nachas from him. Wink

Sharon8310

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 3:02 pm
Wny no option for not B'T? Not everyone here grw up frum

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 3:44 pm
Ger

amother

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 4:07 pm
Sharon8310 wrote:
Wny no option for not B'T? Not everyone here grw up frum

Personally I think it is correct since even if you are B"T most generally pick some minhag to follow. How else would you kow which nusach to daven, schools to send your children to or which Rov to ask your shiales to. You may be a B"T but you are probably also one of the poll choices.; UNless you are Sefaradi. I don't think that one is listed.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 5:03 pm
breslov and lubavich are chassidim...

there are Litvish and chassidishe Sefardim. But non "Ashkenazised" Sefardim could be Mo, chareidi, in between...

Gerim and Bts of course enter one of these categories!

I am Mo, although many see me as neither modern nor ultra, in between because I'm not the average French Mo and my dh is Litvish. But for this board I am Mo, yup.

tweety99

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 5:14 pm
litvish Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 5:49 pm
I voted modox but that is what I would be considered if I lived in america (and lived completely within the box, which BH I dont:>) but here in israel, I would definitely consider myself dati leumi and not modern orthodox, so....... (not that you have to add that option...)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 5:55 pm
I think dati leumi is "frummer" than Mo. I think many of them are between Mo and ultra. But the poll would only be 100% accurate with definitions of each terms lol

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 6:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I think dati leumi is "frummer" than Mo. I think many of them are between Mo and ultra. But the poll would only be 100% accurate with definitions of each terms lol

ruchel, you are correct that dati leumi is "frummer" (I hate that word and assumption, but you are correct:>) than MO but it is also very similar in religiousity, so, thats why I said, in israel I would be considered one "category" and in america another one.
I would not consider myself litvish or yeshivish or whatever other names there were, so.....MO it is:)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 6:08 pm
This poll lacks a 'in between' category that here we just call Orthodox, and that is neither modern nor charedi. And yeah, when I met in Israel the ladies that call themselves Mo as a translation of dati leumi I noticed the HUGE gap between Israeli MO/dati leumi and European Mo.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 6:10 pm
you mean just plain frum? Smile

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 6:24 pm
Maybe Mimi, yeah!
But... does our just plain frum is like Israeli just plain frum? I dunno... our just plain frum cover their knees and elbows but may be not strict with collar bones, they cover their hair always outside of the home but generally not inside, they often show a tefach of hair or at least some part, they do not wear tights out of tznius (in summer)... I am sure in Israel this is dati leumi and not just plain frum lol

mumoo

Post Wed, Sep 19 2007, 7:26 pm
oops, I thought they meant "Ger" as in clarifying which Chassidim.....

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 11:14 am
mumoo- who's "they"?

mumoo

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 12:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Gerim and Bts of course enter one of these categories!

ok , so maybe I was right in the first place...

I assumed yudit and you, RivkieA, meant Ger, as in Gerrer Chassidim, but then I read Ruchel's post and thought I was mistaken. Now, as I reread-.... I guess I do a lot more skimming than reading when I have 2 minutes to spend on imamother

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 12:56 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Maybe Mimi, yeah!
But... does our just plain frum is like Israeli just plain frum? I dunno... our just plain frum cover their knees and elbows but may be not strict with collar bones, they cover their hair always outside of the home but generally not inside, they often show a tefach of hair or at least some part, they do not wear tights out of tznius (in summer)... I am sure in Israel this is dati leumi and not just plain frum lol

ruchel, the dati leumi in israel has such a laaaaaaaarge spectrum of what they hold and follow and what they dont. for the examples that you gave, I dont cover my elbows but I always cover my knees. I never cover my hair at home unless there is a male over bar mitzvah that is not my husband (or father or brother - but thats another story:>) depending on what I am wearing on my head, thereusually is a tefach showing and I will NEVER wear tights in the summer, BUT that said, I have a friend who also considers herself dati leumi and she always covers her elbows and colar bone and will always wear socks in the summer and every inch of her hair will be covered when she marries, so the spectrum is a very large one.

really what does dati leumi mean? translated? dati - religious, leumi - national.......

ny21

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 3:33 pm
I missed taking the poll , so put my name in the mo section ,

Last edited by ny21 on Fri, Sep 21 2007, 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 8:25 am
For some reason, most Chassidishe people do not identify Lubavitch as chassidim. Lubavitch is in a class of its own.

tzatza

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 8:51 am
What about BT?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics