Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Meowy xmas

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:11 pm
My dd is obsessed with cats and has a little joke book with the joke:

What do cats say at Xmas?
Meowy Xmas

She loves this joke and keeps retelling it. I don’t think she “gets” it, she just likes the meow part. How would you handle this? Tell her to stop? But that would raise so many questions Banging head

simcha2

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:13 pm
Why not explain it to her.

It's what some non jewish people sayon their chag. As we're jewish we don't really say this.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:16 pm
Why can't you answer her questions?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:
My dd is obsessed with cats and has a little joke book with the joke:

What do cats say at Xmas?
Meowy Xmas

She loves this joke and keeps retelling it. I don’t think she “gets” it, she just likes the meow part. How would you handle this? Tell her to stop? But that would raise so many questions Banging head

Why don't you pre-read her books if she is at the age where you can't explain to her why this is wrong for her to say?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:27 pm
I guess she’s so young that I don’t think she even knows there are non jews? So it’s not going to be one question, I expect it will be many “whys.”

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
Why don't you pre-read her books if she is at the age where you can't explain to her why this is wrong for her to say?

I usually do but it’s too late now Sad

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
I guess she’s so young that I don’t think she even knows there are non jews? So it’s not going to be one question, I expect it will be many “whys.”

She's old enough to read but she doesn't know there are non Jews in the world? Why not? Part of chinuch is giving kids context for our lives as Jews who live by the Torah. There is a lot missing in her education if she doesn't understand what it means to be a Jew.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:34 pm
Thanks for the judgement instead of actual help. She’s four. Have a great evening.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:

she’s old enough to read, she’s old enough to notice that not everyone is Jewish. Personally, I don’t think it’s a problem to say, but if you do, then maybe just tell her that’s its not something we say. If she asks why, you can tell her that it’s a holiday we don’t celebrate, and we don’t really talk about the holiday either.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Sun, Dec 23 2018, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 4:58 pm
Tell her that it should be "Catmas" instead of Xmas.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 5:22 pm
you can tell her as Jews its something we do not say.
That far away and long ago in some places some non jews on this day used to hurt jews r"L.
Its a different religion and we do not say it.
B"H we are born Jewish! (as we say every morning -- thank you Hashem!)
you can turn it into a positive teachable moment

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 5:26 pm
My daughter is only two, but I could imagine her not knowing there are non-Jews in the world when she's four, unless we make an effort to tell her. (Which we will, because we have non-Jewish family.) But we live in EY and she doesn't see any non-Jews on a regular basis, so how would she know? Maybe OP's child is similarly sheltered.

Sorry, OP, that I don't have any practical advice for you.

Fox

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 5:39 pm
Leave her be. She'll tire of the joke soon enough. Making a big deal about it will likely backfire, anyway.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 5:48 pm
I agree with fox, without a reaction she will likely drop it.
However, at some point when you do come across the idea if non Jews...when we see the lights, people driving on shabbos, etc, I tell my kids that they have their religion and we must respect that, but we are soooo lucky that we have Shabbos....etc.

simba

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 6:05 pm
As usual, I’m with Fox on this. She is 4, nothing lasts more then a few days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children