Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
ISO pesach salads to meal prep for the week

levlongnprosper

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:17 am
DH and I are both stuck working through chol hamoed. We have those little crockpot food warmers for our desks for pesach, so I’m planning to put up a beef soup in the crockpot to divide into individual lunches. I’d like to make it a better balanced meal by including a salad but with all the other holiday cooking going on, I’d like to make a big salad motzei chag and take from it all week. When it’s not pesach, I’ll usually make a 3-bean salad.

So far I’ve thought of Russian vinaigrette salad (beets carrots pickles potatoes) or a broccoli salad (broccoli, grapes, celery, green onion, facon). I’m looking for other options because the first is starch heavy and the second doesn’t really keep all that well.

Side note: I’m avoiding tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants

ETA: lettuce wilts, so any leafy green will not be a good fit. Soup will be fleishig so dairy is not an option. We don’t buy processed foods besides olive oil, so simply dressed is best.

Last edited by levlongnprosper on Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:22 am
Health salad, just leave out the peppers

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:24 am
Lettuce greens (baby spinach, dark romaine lettuce), topped with julinned red onion, cucumber, carrots, and beets.

Make a variety of dressings in advance to take along. Lemongrette, red wine vinegar dressing, creamy garlic dressing...

You can top it each day with something else. Cold grilled chicken sliced on the diagonal, scoops of tuna, sliced eggs, feta cheese, diced cold cuts.

Potato salad and quinoa are good in small containers.

Other salads that can be made a few days ahead of time and you can then grab a small container of in the morning... cucumber salad, cole slaw, beets salad and carrot salad.

levlongnprosper

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:07 pm
tichellady wrote:
Health salad, just leave out the peppers

What is that? I’ve seen that name used for so many salads.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:32 pm
levlongnprosper wrote:
What is that? I’ve seen that name used for so many salads.

A sweet and tangy marinated salad.
Slice zucchini, carrot, (red pepper or whatever you like), and purple onion.
Cook up 1/2 cup oil (or less), 1/2 cup vinegar or lemon juice, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt until dissolved. Cool and pour over veggies. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Lasts about a week.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 2:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
A sweet and tangy marinated salad.
Slice zucchini, carrot, (red pepper or whatever you like), and purple onion.
Cook up 1/2 cup oil (or less), 1/2 cup vinegar or lemon juice, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt until dissolved. Cool and pour over veggies. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Lasts about a week.

I don’t have a recipe but the one I have had is like this but also has cabbage and cucumber and dill
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics