Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why do people buy gifts on chanukah?!
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:54 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why do you care, or need to understand, why other people do things differently? This is how some people do it. Your way is how other people do it. It works for hem, so who cares? All this comparing to other people.....

I am not comparing myself to anyone . Why can't I be genuinely curious? Cant someone ask why someone does something especially when it pertains to a yuntif ? I didn't ask why someone does something random. I asked why we as jews buy presents on chanukah. I dont think that's such a crazy thing to ask . I genuinely want to know why people do it . Maybe theres a halacha source or something to the chanukah story that I dont know about. That's all .

funmother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:59 am
I noticed lately there are a lot of cute chanuka themed toys and crafts very cheap like $2 $9. I know a lot of families give this out instead of toys. I feel a lot of our yomim tovim are centered around food. Even on rosh chodesh my kids have special lunch in school and they get special treats. This chodesh they came home with donuts. and at all parties this month they get chocolate coins. so we stick to traditional latkes and then we give out toys, why? because Black friday is the best time to buy toys and the jewish toys stores put their toys also on sale so people should come to them. Why save all the toys fore pesach! plus the kids will be having chanuka vacation. And they could use something new to keep them busy. Plus its easier to make a day for toys so in march when we go past the toy store I could say "today is not your birthday and its not chanuka. I will not buy toys today." Each kid gets one very inexpensive toy so s/he feels special and one family toy or game. so the year I felt iI wanted to anyways buy clics. Chanuka was a good excuse for that present. but it could also be like$7 twister game. These are some of my small presents this year. a watch for under $10 a pullback car for $5. some chanuka themed activities. I spent $30 on a doll dress my daughter really wanted but I hope everyone will love there present and not compare prices
but what works for me may not work for you!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:47 am
I'm not big on gift giving in general. I really prefer to randomly find something awesome and give it to a person I love because I know that they would like it, rather than because it is a specific date.

I did grow up with Chanukah presents (nothing crazy) and would love to stop. But I found that their peers were all getting Chanukah presents and I didn't want to alienate them. So our "minhag" is no presents on the first night because we just enjoy Chanukah. I allow a few presents the other nights and generally gift things that they need or that I want them to have.

chipmunks

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:38 pm
Iirc Hamodia ends up with an informal debate in the editorial pages around this time every year. I don't think there's been a year that someone didn't bring in pretty strong sources. Haven't been getting it lately so can't tell you for this year.

Stars

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:41 pm
It was never about gifts for us as long as all the catalogs from the Jewish toy stores didn't come in here. Now all of a sudden I have 3 of those brochures in my house, no idea where they came from as I didn't bring them in, and my kids eyes are popping out.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 1:08 am
I just have young nieces and nephews. I go to Amazing Savings and buy each child a sticker book.

gande

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 1:18 am
I stock up on black Friday sales; thing that I want my kids to have. There is a long winter ahead and they will enjoy some new toys and games. All yomin tovim are exciting and kids feel excitement with new toys so it's not wrong to make them excited with it. But yes, it did get a bit out of hand.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 5:08 am
I grew up reform and Hanukkah was about gift giving as was birthdays, and honestly I think making such a big deal of the gifts added anxiety to the holiday as a kid and made it less fun, so my kids only get very small gifts for Hanukkah and birthdays.

imabima

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:44 am
Honestly, I started giving gifts because my kids got from everyone else (grandparents, aunts, and uncles, etc.) and I hated always being the one who didn't give them anything.

Same story with Shabbos nosh (which imo is given in ridiculous amounts). I started being more lenient because I didn't always want to be the one saying no.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:49 am
I treat it as a fun yt

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 7:51 am
We give our kids gifts every Yomtov- sometimes new Shabbos wardrobes, sometimes just a new headband, sometimes shalach manos....so Chanukah has gifts, too! Every night something - donuts, a new game for the family, a trip to a concert, a really cool project, chocolate gelt... the thing is, in our family we define gifts as not just "things," gifts can be food, experiences, etc. I love giving my children gifts, as long as they are not spoiled with demanding expectations!

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 8:02 am
Because I like my niece and nephews?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:08 am
Stars wrote:
It was never about gifts for us as long as all the catalogs from the Jewish toy stores didn't come in here. Now all of a sudden I have 3 of those brochures in my house, no idea where they came from as I didn't bring them in, and my kids eyes are popping out.

They are included in store give away magazines and also the ones that you buy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics