Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Segula for Parnassa
Previous  1  2

salt

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 2:54 am
I just wanted to say something about the aforementioned 'segulot' mentioned like Parashat Ha-Man or Birkat Hamazon with kavana.

It's not that saying birkat hamazon with kavana magically brings you more money. Rather, if you say Birkat Hamazon with kavana - ie. understanding and internalizing what you are saying,
הזן את העולם כולו בטובו...

you are internalizing that everything comes from hashem, and by being grateful that every single penny you have is a gift from Hashem, you will feel rich.

איזהו עשיר. השמח בחלקו

Same with giving tzedaka - when you give tzedaka you see people who are more in need than yourself, which makes you feel fortunate, and therefore rich.

These are not magic segulot, they make you realize all your parnassah is in Hashem's hands.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:58 am
I heard once at a Shiur, on behalf of the Satamr Rebbe ZT"L, that all Segiles for Parnose, is only if said till 9.00 in the morning, and then DH went to work from then for his full hours

If said after that time, nothing helps

Sure this is only a joke from him, but has many truth in it

But even when one works many hours she or he, NOT always do they have Parnose enough to make ends meet, and YES, We are one of them

Thanks to great parents from both sides, we only just manage BH

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Besides for davening....whats and true and tried segual u did for more parnassa. Bh tyh my husband has a job but in today's day with mortgage tuition food ect extras never hurt.

You mean doing more than davening? How about upgrading your davening by say, bensching inside, which has been mentioned? And if you already are, kol hakavod.

The bolded is what gives me pause. You don't mean it this way, I'm sure, but it sounds like you want to bypass the regular channels of hishtadlus and hakaras hatov with shortcuts. And more, what concerns me is - again, not you, I'm sure - when people do segulos and they don't "work" which disillusions them, makes them cynical, and does no good.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:54 am
salt wrote:
I just wanted to say something about the aforementioned 'segulot' mentioned like Parashat Ha-Man or Birkat Hamazon with kavana.

It's not that saying birkat hamazon with kavana magically brings you more money. Rather, if you say Birkat Hamazon with kavana - ie. understanding and internalizing what you are saying,
הזן את העולם כולו בטובו...

you are internalizing that everything comes from hashem, and by being grateful that every single penny you have is a gift from Hashem, you will feel rich.

איזהו עשיר. השמח בחלקו

Same with giving tzedaka - when you give tzedaka you see people who are more in need than yourself, which makes you feel fortunate, and therefore rich.

These are not magic segulot, they make you realize all your parnassah is in Hashem's hands.

Yes, and I should have mentioned birchas ha-man in my pp as well. Saying it regularly, not just on the Tuesday of parashas Beshalach - hey, that's next week, folks! - while really imagining it, and keeping that imagery in one's mind, before entering the 9-5 world is very powerful.

And don't forget ketores day, when the forwards fly to say ketores which is supposed to be a segula for parnasa. For years, I'd be in shul not able to keep up with the ketores after mussaf Shemone Esrei and just sit there like a golem when I realized, I WANT to say it, particularly for the last paragraph on Shabbos re talmidei chachamim marbim shalom ba'olam, etc. I wanted to strengthen myself in these convictions so I started saying it and eventually I was able to keep up.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:56 am
Zeleze wrote:

But even when one works many hours she or he, NOT always do they have Parnose enough to make ends meet, and YES, We are one of them

Thanks to great parents from both sides, we only just manage BH

You and many, many people. You can see why segulos are so appealing. Done right though, I think they can be helpful, even if things don't go according to the script we write.

Oh, and I forgot one other segula, OP: Daven for someone else. There are several websites, one called Daven for me, iirc, that assign people names, anonymously.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:19 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Ok, so the issue I have with this is that it involved lots of davening and studying Torah. In truth, I think in general people and communities that are more immersed in davening and Torah study are poorer than other communities. They might be earning more schar, but if we are talking about earning money, the people that do what you described, are often very poor.

People need to understand that עשירות is defined not always by financial wealth, but by quality of life. Those “poor” Torah families may be struggling financially, but their quality of life is sometimes much higher than those who may be more well-off financially, but are struggling with other issues that they would give all the money in the world to be free of. There is also the quality of life of doing something that you love as opposed to making a lot of money in a soul-sucking job and never being home. I don’t even know if all of the people living the Torah lifestyles understand this, but they should.
2 anecdotes:
1) they asked the Steipler Gaon ZTL why, if he gives 20 people to tzedakah, is he not rich. He answered, “I wrote a set of sefarim that have become popular within my lifetime. This is a great honor that exceeds monetary value.”
2) Rav Shach ZTL once met Rav Moshe Reichman ZTL. He said to him, “Rav Moshe, I don’t know if my Olam Haba will be as great as yours (because of all the tzedakah that you give). But I do know one thing: that my Olam Hazeh is much greater than yours.” He was referring of course to the fact that he got to spend all his time doing something that he loved.

Last edited by malki2 on Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:31 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
A segulah for parnassah is not to run after parnassah, for when one does so, parnassah runs away from him (Imrei Pinchas of Koritz, Erech Parshiyos, 209).

I dunno.

The billionaires I know of are all (not dishonest, but) the feistiest most aggressive businessmen.

lilies

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I dunno.

The billionaires I know of are all (not dishonest, but) the feistiest most aggressive businessmen.

It can be a case of "Bad things for the tzaddik, good things for the rasha" Smile

Can we ever understand?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:47 am
lilies wrote:
It can be a case of "Bad things for the tzaddik, good things for the rasha" Smile

Can we ever understand?

I know wealthy businessmen who are good people.

lilies

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:49 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I know wealthy businessmen who are good people.

I know. I was kidding.

My point is, we cannot understand how Hashem runs the world.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:16 am
lilies wrote:

Can we ever understand?

Exactly. So in the end, nothing has to make any sense. If the person who davens, learns, and does sagulos receives money, we can point to such a person as an example of how it's supposed to work.

When the davening, learning, and segulos don't work out, we can point to such a person as an example of bad things happen to a tzadik. So regardless of the outcome, whether the tzadik has money or is poor, we can point to a logical explanation of why it is that way. Seems like it's rigged.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 10:22 am
Exactly. So in the end, nothing has to make any sense. If the person who davens, learns, and does sagulos receives money, we can point to such a person as an example of how it's supposed to work.

When the davening, learning, and segulos don't work out, we can point to such a person as an example of bad things happen to a tzadik. So regardless of the outcome, whether the tzadik has money or is poor, we can point to a logical explanation of why it is that way. Seems like it's rigged.

Best thing is to work on bitochon. Then we won’t have these questions. I found the Living Emunah series especially helpful in working on bitochon. And when I say bitochon, I don’t mean merely accepting that everything is for the best, but actually relying on HaShem to help you out.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:01 pm
I really think that to push through with Parnose hardship, we need to strengthen our Emunah and Bitochon

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:22 pm
malki2 wrote:
Best thing is to work on bitochon. Then we won’t have these questions. I found the Living Emunah series especially helpful in working on bitochon. And when I say bitochon, I don’t mean merely accepting that everything is for the best, but actually relying on HaShem to help you out.

Interesting perspective. I find it questionable to rely on hashem to help us out because sometimes it seems hashem wants a person to struggle in life with a particular burden. It's clear hashem wants people to be born with various diseases, or missing limbs. Hashem wants certain couples to go thru life without the ability to have children. Hashem wants and allows all kinds of tragedies to happen. How then can we rely on hashem to help us financially so we shouldn't suffer with the burden when it's obvious hashem is placing all kinds of burdens on various people for reasons we don't understand?
I suppose I'm asking a variation of why bad things happen to good people. But once we agree they do happen, maybe hashem wants a particular person to suffer financially and it's their destiny to struggle.

lilies

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:26 pm
Being that a person can't know 'what Hashem wants', you daven. Maybe this tefillah will change your destiny.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:48 pm
Interesting perspective. I find it questionable to rely on hashem to help us out because sometimes it seems hashem wants a person to struggle in life with a particular burden. It's clear hashem wants people to be born with various diseases, or missing limbs. Hashem wants certain couples to go thru life without the ability to have children. Hashem wants and allows all kinds of tragedies to happen. How then can we rely on hashem to help us financially so we shouldn't suffer with the burden when it's obvious hashem is placing all kinds of burdens on various people for reasons we don't understand?
I suppose I'm asking a variation of why bad things happen to good people. But once we agree they do happen, maybe hashem wants a particular person to suffer financially and it's their destiny to struggle.

Think about your own life. Did you ever go hungry? Are you healthy, more or less? Are all your limbs functioning, including eyes, ears, kidneys, etc? Do you have kids? Are they healthy? Are you married? Did you have parents? Did you have most of these? How many Simchos did you attend in your immediate circle vs tragic events? Etc etc etc. Did you do something special to deserve Hashem’s beneficience? HaShem took care of you all these years only because He loves you and wants only the best for you. That’s Emumah. Bitochon is using the knowledge that HaShem loves you and is all powerful to actually rely on Him for what you need. It’s a life’s Avodah, and not something that can be explained on one foot. Of course sometimes bad things happen, but we need to understand that HaShem is not this mean monster waiting to strike us with a lightning bolt. He is Someone who loves us and cares for us much more than even our own parents. And has taken care of us in the past, and will always take care of us.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:38 pm
lilies wrote:
I know. I was kidding.

My point is, we cannot understand how Hashem runs the world.

Sorry, I missed the smiley.

Geulanow

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:31 pm
malki2 wrote:

The Living Emunah series?
What is that, please?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 9:45 pm
It's not enough to just put coins in a pushke.

Keep your spare change in your coat pocket. Whenever you see someone with their hand out, give to them, even if it's just a little.

When you can do this freely, without judging them or wondering about what they will do with it, then you will see Hashem give to you freely as well.

There is an angel who records how you treat the poor, and sends that record to shamayim. According to what is written, that is how parnossa will come to you.

Besides, for all you know, that smelly, wild eyed looking guy, dressed in rags, could be Eliyahu ha Navi himself! Just think you much you would kick yourself, it you found out later that you walked past him, and missed an opportunity like that.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 8:56 am
Geulanow wrote:
The Living Emunah series?
What is that, please?

A series of books by Rabbi Dovid Ashear. There are adult, teen, and youth books. The stories are great hashgacha pratis stories. You can also hear him on the Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Chazak line - 845 356 6665, prompts 4 and 1.

Some people feel that he peddles in magical thinking. If you listen to him enough, you will realize this isn't so. If you can find any longer shiurim on say TorahAnytime (the Chazak talks are very brief stories) you will hear more depth and nuance. I'm assuming so because I've heard him speak live. And sometimes the stories aren't dramatic or happy ending but also clear hashgacha and emuna enhancing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics