Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
I want prespective
Previous  1  2

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:24 pm
Aylat wrote:
I think teenagers are often grumpy. Everything is dramatic and the end of the world. Also don't forget hormones and PMSing!

Sara Chana Radcliffe writes about this: some kids are just more negative than others, no matter what we do for them. Don't take responsibility for their moods. I would say the one important thing you can do for them that you didn't mention is to be happy yourself. Internalise and project an attitude of enjoying life, appreciating little and big things, investing in your relationships, feel good about yourself.

Very very well said. As a mother of a 15 and 13 yr old teenager, I think it's definitely a stage. Teenagers have a very hard time with balance - they see things very black and white and overreact many times. This is perfectly normal behavior. I also used to try "putting them in a good mood" but usually backfires... I find that when I don't react emotionally to their outbursts and just stay calm, they calm down much faster. You can not control their moods, and its healthy for them to figure it out on their own if they don't ask for help. Many times it's just hormonal too and no matter what you do, they won't feel better anyway. I suggest you keep the mood positive anyway for everyone's sake and don't get carried away by their emotions. Very difficult to do, but works!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 12:29 pm
I teach teenage girls. In the beginning, I tried to bend over backwards to make them happy. If I assigned a test for Monday and they insisted Tuesday was better, I would listen If they claimed there was too much material on the test, I would cut some out......and so on. But the more time I spent with them, the more I realized they were just complaining about everything and it was not very serious at all. They were just trying their luck. Now I generally ignore these comments unless I am truly convinced that there is a valid concern.
(BTW, perspective is spelled this way)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children