Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach plans?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:39 pm
So, I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who now has their plans up in the air for pesach this year. It's 3 weeks away with no currents concrete plans. We own a house in New Jersey that we were thinking of moving into and having sedarim/ meals with friends. Well, now with social distancing, that plan is pretty much out. We live in an apartment in New York where we can just have pesach by ourselves (my husband, 10 year old and myself). My husband thinks we should pack up to still go to Jersey and have pesach by ourselves there, considering it's a house, more space with a yard. I'm torn with what to do because I have never made pesach before so I'm freaking out a bit. Pesach is in 3 weeks and we have no clue what we are going to do. I guess I'm just venting. I realize that right now, we are all in the same boat.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:45 pm
I'm currently debating between our beach house in Florida, our chalet in the Adirondacks or our houseboat in the thousand islands. The houseboat is looking good for quarantine purposes, but it will be boring if we can't take our friends on chol hamoed concert cruises like usual.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:47 pm
Sorry, couldn't resist. Tongue Out

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I'm currently debating between our beach house in Florida, our chalet in the Adirondacks or our houseboat in the thousand islands. The houseboat is looking good for quarantine purposes, but it will be boring if we can't take our friends on chol hamoed concert cruises like usual.

I have chronic anxiety and other issues which make it very difficult for me to make certain decisions. I face challenges on a daily basis. I own a house in Jersey because I had major panic attacks when we tried to move into it that I needed to go back to new York. Did you know that paying two mortgages is a ton of fun? My post was serious....but thanks for making fun

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have chronic anxiety and other issues which make it very difficult for me to make certain decisions. I face challenges on a daily basis. I own a house in Jersey because I had major panic attacks when we tried to move into it that I needed to go back to new York. Did you know that paying two mortgages is a ton of fun? My post was serious....but thanks for making fun

Sorry. I have chronic anxiety too. Wish I could buy even one house. But I'm sorry, and I wish you luck in making your decision.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So, I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who now has their plans up in the air for pesach this year. It's 3 weeks away with no currents concrete plans. We own a house in New Jersey that we were thinking of moving into and having sedarim/ meals with friends. Well, now with social distancing, that plan is pretty much out. We live in an apartment in New York where we can just have pesach by ourselves (my husband, 10 year old and myself). My husband thinks we should pack up to still go to Jersey and have pesach by ourselves there, considering it's a house, more space with a yard. I'm torn with what to do because I have never made pesach before so I'm freaking out a bit. Pesach is in 3 weeks and we have no clue what we are going to do. I guess I'm just venting. I realize that right now, we are all in the same boat.

Please try to ignore hurtful comments. I’m in the same boat with my plans totally up in the air. Also never made pesach before (young family with two under two) and we had plans to go away. I feel like I can’t make any plans right now but probably should at least buy the basics! I hope this all ends soon and we can have a lovely pesach!!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:36 pm
Like the PP, I have two under two and facing the prospect of making Pesach myself in out teeny apartment. Sat with my husband today to make a list and it's looking much more doable now.
I'd probably choose the house in NJ over the apt in NY but that's personal preference. Regarding making Pesach though, it's going to be hard but we can do it! Maybe we'll start a support thread

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:47 pm
We're self-quarantining for 2 weeks so we can go to my in-laws. Hopefully we don't develop symptoms towards the end of it...

lucky14

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 9:00 pm
It's going to be a very different pesach for all of us this year and we need to realize that we shouldn't expect the same thing as always. Meaning whatever we do will be enough. It's easy to say- but try to take as much anxiety as you can out of "making pesach". For me I'd choose the house in NJ just because it is nice to get away. Will it be so much harder for you though in terms of getting food and supplies though?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 9:23 pm
Up in the air...

I'm scared to go to my parents... Its rampant here and new tehillim names constantly added...

Iyh the seder in yerushalayim with moshiach!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 9:28 pm
I’m supposed to go to my in laws, but I’m nervous about a few things. They’re over 60, there will be a bunch of little kids around, and they’re not the most hygienic ppl in general. The thought of making yom tov doesn’t overwhelm me as much as the cost. I know this will be a big source of stress in my marriage, and with me not working now because I’m sick, I’m worried. I keep reminding myself to trust in Hashem that it will work out. It might not be easy, but you’re in good (socially distant) company!

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:00 pm
Op, I think you should plan on a pesach alone with just your immediate family. Now think about where thats easiest re cleaning, access to supplies/food, and comfort of hanging out.
Clean the minimum. Cook the minimum - roasted veggies, a salad and protein is a perfectly good meal for a seuda. Take it reallly easy.
If anything changes for the better, how much better. But lets assume not.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:07 am
lucky14 wrote:
It's going to be a very different pesach for all of us this year and we need to realize that we shouldn't expect the same thing as always. Meaning whatever we do will be enough. It's easy to say- but try to take as much anxiety as you can out of "making pesach". For me I'd choose the house in NJ just because it is nice to get away. Will it be so much harder for you though in terms of getting food and supplies though?

My thought is that yes, it might be harder to get what I need there since everything there is so spread out. Before making our decision, my husband is going to call the local kosher mini Mart and see how stocked they will be this pesach. My husband is sick of being couped up in our apartment. And if it wasn't for my terrible anxiety, we'd already be living in the house.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:19 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Sorry. I have chronic anxiety too. Wish I could buy even one house. But I'm sorry, and I wish you luck in making your decision.

Im sorry you suffer from chronic anxiety too! This pandemic definitely adds to it....anxiety and depression really suck! We are all in this together ❤️

saralem

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:19 am
Compared to all of my married life of making Pesach for a crowd, this year it will just be me and dh. It will be on such a small scale--feels so odd--but definitely much easier. We were supposed to be going to married children, but that's not able to happen now. No fancy desserts and several salads, and the pressure of making a different menu for every meal. We can eat the same thing several times and just streamline. I cook for 4 solid days (all day) before Pesach usually--this year, I will probably need to just cook for a few hours. Very strange feeling. Feels like Moshiach....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics