Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent poll

How do you cook your cholent?
slow cooker  
 93%  [ 28 ]
pot in a low heat oven  
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 30

Tila

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 11:53 am
When you make cholent, do you use a slow cooker, put it in a pot in the oven. Do you ever freeze it

Motek

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 11:59 am
only those two choices in the poll?!

am I the only one who makes chulent in pots on the blech on the stove top? surely not!

1stimer

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 12:05 pm
nope motek! except I put it on a hotplate. but we miss our slow cooker though

sarahd

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 1:20 pm
I also use a pot; I would use a crockpot, but could only find the very big ones in 220 volt.

supermom

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 1:32 pm
in the oven they say it is suppose to taste the best but I put it in a crockpot makes our house less hot in the summer.

BlumaG

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 1:42 pm
do it either on the stove or a slow cooker, I think its more moist if u do it in a pot then u just have to get a blech, never got one of those yet Smile

gryp

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 1:48 pm
a pot in the oven?
am I the only one who uses pans in the oven and pots on the stovetop?????
what do you make with pots in the oven?

anyway, our cholent is in a pot on the stovetop (blech) and never to hard to clean because we put in extra water to make sure it doesnt burn.

supermom

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 1:57 pm
I make oven stews in my oven with pots, chicken sometimes. I don't use tin pans and when I want something to be cooked I use a pot in the oven I even warm up my food that way sometimes

Tefila

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 2:28 pm
I use crockpot and yes sarahd you can get smaller ones.

BlumaG

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 4:43 pm
I used to have a 1.5 quart crock pot they only cost $10ish. but cholent doesnt get enough water that way, more likely to burn

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 8:52 pm
we use a crockpot witha plastic liner... the liner makes my life alot easier.

but we aren't a beans or barley chulent familt either.

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 9:00 pm
We don't make cholent at all - do not like it.

queenie

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 11:46 pm
I use a crock pot / slow cooker. I also use the crock pot for other meals. But I grew up making cholent on the stove top to cook it and then we put it in the overnight. When I got married I had a crockpot but didn't even know how to use it. I didn't even make cholent for the 1st 2 months or so bc I didn't have a cholent pot for the oven and didn't know how to make it in the crockpot. Finally my mother came to visit and we used the crock pot for the first time!! Now I have 2 crock pots and use them for a lot of different meals.

Sometimes I use one crock pot for soup friday night and the other one for cholent. I put them both on timers. The soup turns off at midnight and the cholent turns off around 3p.m. No need to pay for heat when I don't need it.

timeout

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 8:39 pm
Crockpot when I'm home but when I go to my parents I always use a pot on the blech they basically tasted teh same to me but my husband said crockpot is a million times better.

gryp

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 8:48 pm
this might be off-topic but im wondering for anyone who puts their cholent in the oven, how do you open your oven door on shabbos?

timeout

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 8:58 pm
We have no lightbulb and the oven is not so new that when we would open it the temp. would go up so no problems.

sarahd

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 3:51 am
freilich wrote:
I use crockpot and yes sarahd you can get smaller ones.

In 220 volt? Where?

Tila

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 3:08 pm
RG wrote:
this might be off-topic but im wondering for anyone who puts their cholent in the oven, how do you open your oven door on shabbos?
You wait for it to kick in as you would regularly. Am I wrong?

Tefila

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 3:27 pm
Quote:
In 220 volt? Where?

Procter silex and hamilton beach are carryed in most department stores. Hm come to think of it , it could be a lower voltage though Confused

kutiepie

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 10:55 pm
I used to use the crock pot. Not any more bec my husband conks out after the egg salad from the kiddush bronfen he continues to drink after every 5 minutes. So I dont make cholent any more or I let it stand till motzoeh shabbos and then I throw it out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus