Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
No-cook recipes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:32 pm
Starting to think about Shavuos in quarantine. It's just DH and I. We don't have a milchig kitchen/side and no options to cook anything. What are some ideas of no-cook/bake recipes to make (especially since the first day is Shabbos this year)? I would have access to only plastic equipment.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:35 pm
Get a $15 hand mixer or blender so you can make no bake cheesecake, cheese truffles and the like.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:36 pm
People have separate burners for meat/dairy? I never knew this. In any case, you can do bagels/cream cheese/lox/tuna fish. Or pareve fish options. Pareve frittata. Is that what you were thinking?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
People have separate burners for meat/dairy? I never knew this. In any case, you can do bagels/cream cheese/lox/tuna fish. Or pareve fish options. Pareve frittata. Is that what you were thinking?

Great idea! Thanks.
Doesn't everyone? Or am I missing something?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Great idea! Thanks.
Doesn't everyone? Or am I missing something?

No. Star k says it’s not necessary. Definitely as your LOR. I’ve never seen anyone have separate burners. (If they do its affluence. People with 4 burner stoves typically use all for both)

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:50 pm
Doubt that it makes much difference to your plans, but its actually the second day that is Shabbos. Here in israel it will be a two day Yom Tov as well.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:52 pm
I use my burners for meat and dairy. Afaik you don't need separate ones.
If you have a toaster you can bake in that some small goodies.
I have a recipe for cheesecake in a pot.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
No. Star k says it’s not necessary. Definitely as your LOR. I’ve never seen anyone have separate burners. (If they do its affluence. People with 4 burner stoves typically use all for both)

I've heard you should put the flame on for a few seconds or so in between milch and fl.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:54 pm
ask your rav. I have 4 burner stove and keep 2 for each. it just makes it easier that I dont have to worry as much about spills, but I dont know if thats really the halacha. it works for me, so I never asked.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

I think it depends if it’s gas, electric coil or glass top electric

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Starting to think about Shavuos in quarantine. It's just DH and I. We don't have a milchig kitchen/side and no options to cook anything. What are some ideas of no-cook/bake recipes to make (especially since the first day is Shabbos this year)? I would have access to only plastic equipment.

Is your oven self clean? You can Kasher it and bake and then Kasher again. Use disposable tins.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:28 pm
Just curious, you never baked or cooked dairy? Anyway, we use everything for both...

jfk92

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:58 pm
Greek salad - lemon or balsamic vingrette
Tomatoe basil and mozzarella stacks.

Cheese spread- I buy a few different hard and soft cheeses, lay it out nicely on a cutting board w some fruits/jams, or spreads and different crackers. Especially pairs well w some wine. Herbs in your cream cheese can count too lol

Smoked fish/lox/herrings?

Noodles- like soba, that you can cook by soaking in hot water. And then you can flavor as desired.

Yogurt/ Instant pudding w granola and fruit. Can look really fancy when you layer it

I personally like to just rekasher my oven before and after. So I can have a milichigs oven.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 4:06 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

Also never heard of this

mha3484

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 4:09 pm
I serve this every year with crackers it’s really delicious https://smittenkitchen.com/200.....alsa/

MiriFr

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 4:28 pm
Get an airfryer or toaster oven or waffle iron or griddle and dedicate it as your milchig kitchen appliance.
Also get a blender.
(You also dont HAVE to have dairy)

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 5:20 pm
There is a no bake triangle cheese cake with tea biscuits as crust.
There is a har Sinai cake layer jelly roll slices to line a bowl & fill center with cheese filling & then oveturn

Frumme

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 6:33 pm
You could make some cute mini sandwiches! Butter and cucumber; cheese, pickle, and mustard; dairy chocolate spread and banana; etc.

amother [ Pink ] wrote:

I wouldn't say it's affluence. BH in my previous apartment, we had a brand new range. We kept all 4 burners fleishig-- that way we could put hot things down onto the ceramic (which as an unkasherable material is generally considered "treif" if you don't know its tam), like pot lids and ladles. For milchig we have an induction burner that came with its own pot for $45 at Costco-- easy to put away/take out and clean. For us, one burner for milchig was enough.

As a side note to other posters-- some consider gas ranges to be continually self-kashering. Others say to keep the burner on for a few minutes before switching tams. For electric coil, some say to make it red hot for a few minutes. And glass tops are... Well, ask your LOR about glass tops. My mother once had hers crack in the rekashering process....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics