Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
For those of us yeshivish who let our kids watch YouTube
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:57 pm
asmileaday wrote:
It's a real problem.
My 10 and 12 yr old are still somewhat ok with Wild Kratts but my 14 year old is completely uninterested in kiddie shows.
It is super hard to find normal shows today. Very frustrating.
I can't see them being interested in documentaries after seeing exciting cartoons and action with real actors.
But if anyone has good suggestions for a 14 year old boy I'll take it.
As it is screen time for watching is extremely limited in my house and reserved for special occasions (vacation days etc...). But still, when I do want to allow them to watch I'm stuck for lack of content.
Also, boy interests are very different than girl interests. I feel like there's more for girls than boys.
Some clean(ish) shows my kids enjoyed
The magic school bus
Odd squad
Gortimor Gibbons
Lost in Oz
When they were younger - Give a mouse a cookie

I also let them watch both Frozens even though it's a more girly movie but we did it together as a family. (I don't mind some romance, I just hate new age ideas - gender issues etc... I don't want to introduce those concepts.)

Help! My fourteen year old watches mine craft videos. I always thought they were innocent - has anyone watched them and can tell me?

They also play minecraft all day, not sure if that's better, but I thought it was....

giselle

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Help! My fourteen year old watches mine craft videos. I always thought they were innocent - has anyone watched them and can tell me?

They also play minecraft all day, not sure if that's better, but I thought it was....

No video games should be played all day.. and I realize you didn’t mean that literally, but video games come with their own issues and should definitely be limited.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 2:04 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
MY LITTLE PONY!

This is my favorite show ever, and I loved watching it with DD. The ponies learn good middos and cooperation. The main writers are Jewish. There is no violence or overt meanness (I think one pony gets teased or excluded here or there, but it's always resolved by the end of the show.)

It's smartly written, so it's fun for adults too. People of any age can enjoy it. Boys like it too, because there are male pony characters. Any romance is so vaguely hinted at that it's nearly invisible.

CBCKids (Canadian version of PBS) is fantastic. Great quality programming, nothing to give you even the slightest pause. (If you live in the northern US you can usually pick it up on cable TV.) You might be able to get it online.

The biggest danger of YouTube isn't what you watch, it's what comes up on the sidebar. You're always one or two clicks away from some serious weirdness. Make sure that your kids only watch what you want them to, and that they don't go "exploring" the suggested content.

I'm a huge fan of MLP. I cried when the show ended recently. It's an amazing show.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 2:05 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

Many of the people on youtube who play video games are adults. They curse, and talk about bad things.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 2:11 pm
Letting kids scroll youtube even with popular shows can be dangerous - here's why

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs.....81889
https://netsanity.net/the-dang.....kids/
https://techcrunch.com/2017/11.....kids/

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 9:33 pm
Thank you everyone who posted here for the great ideas; I’m going to implementing some of them and research others!!

Redbird

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:04 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I let my older kids 9, 10, 11 watch arthur and other similar things on youtube or PBS kids..

Carefull!! I hear there's an episode now about Mr. Ratburn being gay.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:16 am
Redbird wrote:
Carefull!! I hear there's an episode now about Mr. Ratburn being gay.

There’s one episode where Mr Ratburn marries a man.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 2:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you have Netflix? For a 14yo boy, "Magic for Humans" is a fantastic series. The magic tricks are truly amazing, and it's just all around good clean fun. There is nothing "supernatural", and it's clear that the tricks are all done with skill and practice, nothing more.

It’s actually rated PG13. It is 95% kosher but has about 5% more adult content. I am not yeshivish and am pretty liberal with what I allow but I do remember being surprised by one or two things they included in the show.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:55 am
Can I just add that my kids used to watch peppa pig when they were little and I was near them prepping supper etc so I hear what thier talking about on the show.. one of the episodes they were laughing and making fun of thier father another episode one of then was being very rude and not nice.. thats when I stopped that show for them not really the values you want your kids to watch theres so many other good shows they could watch.. umizoomi is a good one its very educational etc..

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 7:00 am
thatworn wrote:
We stopped with youtube somewhat suddenly (they had only watched "is it shabbos yet type videos on it) when I realised what was popping up on the sides and how bothersome it was to me to see such images. My eldest was about 6 or 7. I told them that I didn't to see what was popping on the sides, or popping up after the video we were watching came to an end. I told them that when I see people dressed r acting inappropriately or using bad words, I feel really uncomfortable. I didn't say "this is forbidden, you must not do it" - just that I didn't want to take part in it. Eldest is 10 now and still respects this ... I wonder what's going to happen in the teenage years. There's so much shtuss out there and so many parents don't give a hoot if their children are watching whatever they want, so I feel that if they are so eager to watch certain things they will find a way.

At present you can see alot of jewish videos on Oorah schmorg and unclepinchey for free, so we make use of that when they really need to be babysat by the screen.

I also stopped youtube even youtube kids when my daughter was little she clicked on one of the videos on the side and a video popped up where adults do pranks on other people so this specific video was a prank where when pple walk by they pretend thier killing someone with a hatchet and blood squirting omg I was mortified!!!!!! Never again!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics