Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Toddler tantrum/ sick

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:56 am
Has anyone had something similar and what did you do?

For the past 3 weeks my 21 month old toddler has been waking up SCREAMING like she's having night terrors. Me and my husband switch off comforting her and putting her back to sleep. She also started asking for a bottle in the middle of the night. Then she got sick for a week. Throwing up diarrhea etc ... and was crying a lot as to be expected when a toddler is sick. But now she is no longer sick and is still having MAJOR tantrums at night and now also by day. She screams like she's not feeling well and it's very random when she does it. She want to be held a lot only when im standing. Im due any day so maybe it's because of a new baby coming? Anyone have any idea what's up?
I get that 1.5 year olds have tantrums but these seem different. They do seem to be triggered by small things but only when she seems already upset before. After a longgg tantrum she does snap back to herself eventually. She's very bright.

Im trying to stay super calm and relaxed. She also very often will push me away when I'm trying to comfort her, like she's feeling uncomfortable but won't really do it with my husband. For example at night if I go into her room she will just keep screaming no no no and twist herself all around.

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 6:11 am
I doubt this is it, but just in case, have your checked for worms? The itchiness and discomfort can present as pain in toddlers, who don't yet have the vocabulary or self awareness to describe what they're experiencing. Whenever my toddler starts waking up crying during the night, I know worms are likely the cause.

But you describe something more complex, which is why I said this probably isn't right. But it's worth checking anyhow.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 8:54 am
Are you sure everything is ok medically? She may not have any obvious symptoms but something can still be causing her pain.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone had something similar and what did you do?

For the past 3 weeks my 21 month old toddler has been waking up SCREAMING like she's having night terrors. Me and my husband switch off comforting her and putting her back to sleep. She also started asking for a bottle in the middle of the night. Then she got sick for a week. Throwing up diarrhea etc ... and was crying a lot as to be expected when a toddler is sick. But now she is no longer sick and is still having MAJOR tantrums at night and now also by day. She screams like she's not feeling well and it's very random when she does it. She want to be held a lot only when im standing. Im due any day so maybe it's because of a new baby coming? Anyone have any idea what's up?
I get that 1.5 year olds have tantrums but these seem different. They do seem to be triggered by small things but only when she seems already upset before. After a longgg tantrum she does snap back to herself eventually. She's very bright.

Im trying to stay super calm and relaxed. She also very often will push me away when I'm trying to comfort her, like she's feeling uncomfortable but won't really do it with my husband. For example at night if I go into her room she will just keep screaming no no no and twist herself all around.
check for strep. This is exactly how my kids pandas onset looked

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:24 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
check for strep. This is exactly how my kids pandas onset looked

I suspected this but shes negative for strep. Today was the first time she was back to her happy self but she is still crying at night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics