Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Talking to the dead and getting an answer
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:52 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Talking to the dead is called necromancy. It is assur. Pretty sure it is specified in parshas Mishpatim. The end doesn't justify the means. Either way he didn't save anyone's life, my uncle died anyway. These people can't change HKBH's will. And from what I understand it is very bad for the person who passed away too. If I remember correctly I think my father had to go to the cemetery to apologize.

Using witchcraft to talk to dead people is assur. Talking to them plain is not. I don't think you can ask others to do it for you though.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:56 pm
Zehava wrote:
I don’t get it if the dead person was a tzaddik and in fan eden why would they talk to a psychic if it’s so bad?

From what I recall at the time - and I would never bring it up again it was a very painful situation- there is a lot of confusion for the niftar when they get "called". Very complicated. Because you and I can go to the cemetery to "speak" to our loved ones, we can even "call" a neshama who may be there to "call" our relative etc...but this is a different level, it is necromancy and it is assur. The man I am talking about is a good person, he is a [gentile] I have no clue what he is or is not allowed to do. But for Jews it is totally assur.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:38 am
IsraeliSoul wrote:
This thread is giving me the creeps

At least the discussion is not about demons playing with babies!

I actually find this idea oddly comforting, the idea of relatives who died still being around and caring...

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:24 am
the idea of relatives being around and caring is not the same as doing what is assur and talking to them in the way described as in talking and "getting answers" and info

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:43 am
First of all, BDE for your aunt. I am very sorry for your loss.

I've had a couple of friends visit me after they passed, and it was only once, to say goodbye and tell me a bit of unfinished business. My mom never came, so I can only assume that we had completed what we needed to do in this life. I'm OK with that, it actually makes me feel better.

I had a friend's cat come to visit me! When the cat was ill I was staying at their house, and the only way to get it to eat or drink was out of my hands. She slept with me every night I was there. I had the dream the same day the cat died. She curled up next to me and purred, and when I woke up that spot was still warm. I called my friend, and she said "Did the cat visit you? She's gone now." Surprised

Over the years I've had a couple of times where I've had to have a conversation with a negative entity (ghosts?) to get them out of where I was living. I didn't cast a spell or anything, I simply addressed them and said "There is nothing here that can help you. You need to move on." and that was the end of it.

At NO TIME did I seek these encounters out. It's one thing to be sensitive to energies and neshamot, and another thing to go looking for them specifically.

My life on earth is complicated enough. I have no need to go messing with the afterlife if I don't have to.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 4:10 am
I'm a skeptic when it comes to these situations because there are ways to easily defraud people. Often the "psychic" has information or is otherwise phrasing things vaguely enough that at least one person in a group will inevitably make connections.

Otoh, I've had certain experiences myself that made me wonder if they were "real" so I'm fascinated when people share their personal experiences.

FF- when you say you encountered negative energies - how did you know they were there?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 4:22 am
WhatFor wrote:
FF- when you say you encountered negative energies - how did you know they were there?

Mostly, I think that some energies/ghosts just get confused or stuck, and can't find their way out. It's not like they want to be there.

In one situation, I had a dog who barked frantically at one corner of the living room, behind an armchair. Her fur would go up, her ears back, and her tail between her legs. She was obviously both terrified and feeling protective.

I finally had enough of it, after I couldn't get my otherwise extremely obedient and well trained dog to leave it alone. I said "I don't know who you are, or what you want, but you are scaring my dog. My dog does not understand you, and can't help you. You need to go somewhere else to get what you need." The next day my dog stopped barking, and within a week she would happily sleep in that corner.

I've had an area in a house that was really cold and drafty for no reason. I just told them that they were in the wrong place, and needed to go away. The previous residents had been drug dealers, and when I first moved in I was finding needles all over the place. I'm sure nothing good had been happening there.

At one house there was a walk in attic space that always seemed darker than should be normal, no matter how much light you put in there. That one was the worst. I actually had to call in a friend to help me with that one, because it was VERY angry, and very stubborn. There was a lock on the outside of the door, which made me wonder if someone had ever been locked up in there. Sad

B'H these are really rare occasions. Definitely not something you would want to go looking for.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 4:51 am
southernbubby wrote:
So the aunt who had recently had coronavirus and seemed to recover passed away a few days ago of unknown causes. A non frum family member seems to be psychic and when she communicates with the dead she comes up with secrets that few in the family of the dead person knew about but this convinces everyone that the conversations are real. A dead person may say, for example, that she left nickels around the house of a certain person to show that she is trying to contact them and then this person confirms that she kept finding nickels in odd places. In another case, the dead person was holding a baby and another member of that family finally divulged that there had been a miscarriage.
People are now convinced that my aunt is enjoying her new life in the next world so I hope that this is true but as frum people, I don't think that we converse with the dead and expect an answer but am I wrong?

Yes. If you believe it's real, it's forbidden by halacha to do things like ouija board or the like.
If you believe it's bogus, you can do it.

I believe it's bogus. That's why I don't do it.
On the other hand, I feel it can have an appeasing effect to people who lost a loved one, as long as those mediums don't take advantage.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Yes. If you believe it's real, it's forbidden by halacha to do things like ouija board or the like.
If you believe it's bogus, you can do it.

I believe it's bogus. That's why I don't do it.
On the other hand, I feel it can have an appeasing effect to people who lost a loved one, as long as those mediums don't take advantage.

The rest of the family seemed very relieved to hear that my aunt was actually enjoying herself and that a musical uncle played the piano for her, my grandmother baked delicacies, and my grandfather played some type of board game with her, and she was surrounded by her dogs. May all the people who I mentioned, OBM, rest in peace.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:21 am
southernbubby wrote:
The rest of the family seemed very relieved to hear that my aunt was actually enjoying herself and that a musical uncle played the piano for her, my grandmother baked delicacies, and my grandfather played some type of board game with her, and she was surrounded by her dogs. May all the people who I mentioned, OBM, rest in peace.

I once heard in a shirt that we shouldn't say "rest in peace" because we don't want the neshama to just rest wherever it is. We want it to have a constant aaliyah. Like ok ploni time to move up! Your grandson just made siyum in your honor. Your daughter just sponsored a wedding in your honor. And just constant movement even for the neshama.

lol to the board games and dogs ... So according to this relative heaven is just another Sunday afternoon with the family.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:29 am
sounds like something anyone could say

while glad people find comfort not a good idea to promote taking comfort from tumah

southernbubby

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:30 am
avrahamama wrote:
I once heard in a shirt that we shouldn't say "rest in peace" because we don't want the neshama to just rest wherever it is. We want it to have a constant aaliyah. Like ok ploni time to move up! Your grandson just made siyum in your honor. Your daughter just sponsored a wedding in your honor. And just constant movement even for the neshama.

lol to the board games and dogs ... So according to this relative heaven is just another Sunday afternoon with the family.

Thanks for the info that we should not say "rest in peace"

southernbubby

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
sounds like something anyone could say

while glad people find comfort not a good idea to promote taking comfort from tumah

I sort of felt that way too but the psychic relative claimed not to know that the uncle played the piano while alive and although I don't remember Grandpa playing checkers, I think that he and my grandmother played bridge with other people.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics