Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When only one kid needs to go to school or cheder

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 8:51 am
If there is a snow and there is no school for the small kids and only one child has school or cheder how do you handle it? My son always makes a tantrum that he doesn't wanna go. So today there was supposed to be school for everyone and my bigger son went but they canceled last minute for the smaller kids. He will come home devastated hearing that his younger siblings stayed home. How do you handle such situations? I have no energy for any tantrums anymore. Crying

hodeez

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 8:53 am
Take him to the side and tell him you know that he would have loved to stay home...empathize with him. Maybe give him something special that he wouldn't usually get, a treat, your attention, relief from a chore. Make him feel like he didn't miss out by going to school.

heidi

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 8:56 am
Tell him next time he can stay home.
And let him.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 8:56 am
He is older, when he was little he stayed home too. He has more privileges and more responsibilities. The hard part comes when you have children in different schools, for different learning or social needs, who are the same age and they ah e different schedules. But still, equal and fair, are not synonymous, and different people have and get different things at different times.

Zehava

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 8:59 am
My kids go to school because they want to go, I don’t force them, so it’s never been an issue

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 9:06 am
Tell him that you are not the one in control. You didn't cancel your other kids school. Hashem is in control & he decides what's best for every person.
Another thing, that cheder gets canceled last, because Torah learning is choshuv.
When he was young, he also had snow days.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 9:22 am
My mom always gave a special treat to the one was going to school when other's stayed home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics