Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Are any bpl libraries open
Previous  1  2

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 9:57 pm
But how do you check it out at the branch?

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:31 pm
Also, when the book is ready for pickup, check the app that the branch is actually open that day. I’ve gone to pick up and sound it closed due to “staffing shortage” or some such nonsense. The app is up to date usually with random closures like that. I’ve also called the branch to check.

dovebird

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really need some reading material and find it so hard to order holds online. Are there any libraries in Brooklyn open for in person browsing?

The kings highway one had a few shelves with books you could check out. So far the books I took where pretty good! Also as above poster said, call before you go to make sure they are open.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
NJ doesn't have any BPL locations.

Of course there are no BPL in NJ bcz Brooklyn is not in NJ but there are public libraries who are open like regular you can browse through books and use the computers

rising hero

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:06 am
Kensington location is open for returns and hold pickups. But they do have books in the window that you can request. Or if you ask for specific titles/authors etc they can bring them to you from the shelf. They helped me and have seen other people doing the same. It might depend on who is working the shift or if there are people waiting or not.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:27 am
Why not get a kindle and use a digital library card? It's not the same as getting to go to the library in person, and doesn't help for shabbos, but at least you have access to the BPL collection and can keep reading for free.

sub

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 1:35 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
But how do you check it out at the branch?

Self-checkout
Bring your library card. The books are on carts in the lobby. Alphabetized by last name of the ppl requesting the book.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Why not get a kindle and use a digital library card? It's not the same as getting to go to the library in person, and doesn't help for shabbos, but at least you have access to the BPL collection and can keep reading for free.

My kids have been reading a lot of e-books for the last year. I still prefer paper books myself and dont like that right after they come home from school they want to go on the tablet. I know it's for reading but still feel like too much screen time then.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:13 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
My kids have been reading a lot of e-books for the last year. I still prefer paper books myself and dont like that right after they come home from school they want to go on the tablet. I know it's for reading but still feel like too much screen time then.

Nothing like good old fashioned paper books.
The llibrary relaxes me and it’s so sad that it’s still closed

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:30 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Shabbos and YT is the hardest.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:51 am
I really miss the library too.
I'm so happy I can request books thru the Hold system (although I do have to travel to the closest open branch). Not having books last Pesach was brutal.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 10:29 am
I must have bought 50 books this year and I am running out of room to house them all. I also reserve books at my New York public library. I really don’t like how they open and close the reserve or pickup systems at random. When I go to my branch which is a whole block long, no one has reserved books except for me. (Makes me feel extremely special). There are 6 security guards watching me. Then the next day they are closed because someone was exposed to COVID. Who? One of the 6 security guards?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics