Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What did you use your stimulus money on?
Previous  1  2  3  4

What did you use your stimulus money on?
Straight into savings  
 31%  [ 50 ]
Debt/mortgage  
 19%  [ 31 ]
Big purchases  
 11%  [ 18 ]
Just used it all around  
 19%  [ 31 ]
Paying off debt and the rest into savings  
 8%  [ 14 ]
Other  
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 157

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 12:03 am
Put it in savings account but did use some, I think. Bought a new(used) shaitel that I really needed. I work by the hour and may not have work summer, so may just need it for every day expenses come yom tov and summer.
Thank you, Hashem!

So tempted to go on a much needed vacation but I dont treat myself to that

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 6:24 am
I chose debt/mortgage but the debt was only because our income was suddenly drastically reduced due to dh being in a "nonessential" field of work that was shut down (construction industry so not part of the privileged "work from home" class) I was still working but my income alone isn't enough to keep a roof over our head and food on the table.

Even though he can work again he's making 1/4 of what he made before due to pandemic restrictions. The stimulus money will help keep us afloat for another few months until hopefully things return to a semblance of normalcy.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 7:58 am
I divided it and put it into my kids savings accounts.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 8:02 pm
We took out of our savings to do overdue work on our home.
We used the stimulus check to pay ourselves back.

stillnewlywed

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 8:17 pm
Paid off student loans

mra01385

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 9:07 pm
We are also planning on using it to buy tefillin for my ds bar mitzvah imyh. My dh feels that whatever money is put into savings will have less value next year because the stimulus money will cause inflation on food prices as well as everything else.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 9:22 pm
mra01385 wrote:
We are also planning on using it to buy tefillin for my ds bar mitzvah imyh. My dh feels that whatever money is put into savings will have less value next year because the stimulus money will cause inflation on food prices as well as everything else.

agree!!! using this logic to treat myself to a gorgeous dining room set that I've been eyeing at Dina's by Living Quarters

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:24 am
Just got the stimulus. It went straight to pay off the credit card...

While it's nice to be completely debt free now, it feels awful that I got such a large check from the government and I can't even get anything with it! I have so many things that I need and could have used the money for, but it all went to pay off debt.

Worst part is that I know that we're not earning enough to live on, so the credit card will slowly inch its way up and I'll be just as bad off in a few months. At least I should have gotten something to show for it now.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:27 am
BH got mine too our family is small but BH it will pay for tuition through the end of the a school year. My husband has been unemployed for a long time so this is really really needed for us

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:30 am
I’m so happy! We’re finally debt free! After two years of slowly paying off our cards this was the last payment we needed to make! Thank you hashem!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Why do you think that those of us who received the stimulus don’t pay heavy taxes? And 2 bedrooms??! Luxury! I live in a 1 room studio.

Your bitterness won’t get you anywhere. Let it go

Do you pay heavy taxes?? Doubtful
I’m not a bitter person but that’s just how it goes. The ones who paid heavy taxes and made over 100 grand together with spouse did NOT receive it.
The middle class hard working people get killed here we get nothing!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I’m not a bitter person but that’s just how it goes. The ones who paid heavy taxes and made over 100 grand together with spouse did NOT receive it.

The cut off was 160k for married filing jointly. Not 100K.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:25 pm
I will use some of it to beef up a wedding fund for my 18 year old daughter.
I will add 1K to my emergency fund.

The rest will go to a new computer and some window repairs.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:

If you’re looking the sympathy you’re not getting it from me. I make a decent salary so yes I pay high taxes. And of course NYC income taxes are high. I am very much middle class. but I’m the only adult working with a chronically Unemployed husband and I live in a box. I’m not sure the point of your post is. If you want to debate or discuss whether you should have received a stimulus can start one in Politics. The question here is what you’re spending on
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics